Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi after ch 13

tag
luvsandyshores
Regular Contributor

Refi after ch 13

I had a Chapter 13 discharge in November.  My scores are good, rates are low, and I have a decent amount of equity built up in my house.  I'd really like to do a cash-out refi and get some long-delayed maintenance done on my home.  But my lender has stopped doing refis and home equity loans during COVID, and the other mortgage guy I contacted said I need to wait 2 years after discharge.  Why is this, when I could have refinanced even during my 13 with trustee permission?  I can also sell my house and buy another right now if I want to, so why can't I refi?  Do I just need to shop around to find someone willing to do it?  If so, is it going to be something like a sub-prime lender?

CH13 confirmed 1/2016
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: Refi after ch 13

I believe the 2 years post CH13 is correct... for a conventional loan. (Refi or new purchase...)

You need to look into an FHA/VA/USDA type loan if you don't want to wait. (Same would have applied during the CH13.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 2 of 3
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Refi after ch 13

@luvsandyshores wrote:

I had a Chapter 13 discharge in November.  My scores are good, rates are low, and I have a decent amount of equity built up in my house.  I'd really like to do a cash-out refi and get some long-delayed maintenance done on my home.  But my lender has stopped doing refis and home equity loans during COVID, and the other mortgage guy I contacted said I need to wait 2 years after discharge.  Why is this, when I could have refinanced even during my 13 with trustee permission?  I can also sell my house and buy another right now if I want to, so why can't I refi?  Do I just need to shop around to find someone willing to do it?  If so, is it going to be something like a sub-prime lender?

Conventional loans require 2 years post discharge on a chapter 13 but FHA, VA & USDA will allow you to refi right away.

One thing of note, FHA does require the file to be manually underwritten if the discharge of a chapter 13 is less than 2 years old and some lenders/investors have stopped doing manual underwrites or increased the minimum credit score required thanks to COVID.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.