cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi auto loan before Mortgage app. Good or bad idea?

tag
BumNT

Re: Refi auto loan before Mortgage app. Good or bad idea?

I'm literally in the same process as you. Looking to buy in the next few months and wanted to refi my auto loan to get a better interest rate.

Dropped my rate from 7.49% to 4.99% - should have a definite impact on my DTI and monthly debts which should hopefully look good to any underwriter, and is hopefully easy to explain to any underwriter worth their salt.

Good luck!

Message 11 of 15
westo12
Established Contributor

@indecison wrote:

I would go for the refi. You may or may not be able to get the lates taken off so you have to assume you cannot close on a house until after the lates age to 12 months. If it were closer then you have to worry with your score dropping because of the inquirey and your AAOA going down. But being that far out you should not have an issue and you will save a good chunk of money by doing the refi.

Sorry for the confusing post. I had only been half into my cup of coffe.

lol thank you for the additional detail.  Yes, I am assuming I cannot close until the lates are 12 months old.  However, I'm confused as to what month that 3/12 late would be a year old.  On 3/01/13, when the bank reports the 2/28/13 data OR 4/1/12, when they report that as of 3/31/13, I am paid as agreed.

Also, does anyone know of a good place I can go to get auto refinancing with auto lates?  I was thinking Cap One, just because my car fits their criteria and I already have a Cap One cc.  

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 12 of 15
westo12
Established Contributor

@BumNT wrote:

I'm literally in the same process as you. Looking to buy in the next few months and wanted to refi my auto loan to get a better interest rate.

Dropped my rate from 7.49% to 4.99% - should have a definite impact on my DTI and monthly debts which should hopefully look good to any underwriter, and is hopefully easy to explain to any underwriter worth their salt.

Good luck!

BumNT, did you have auto lates on your old 7.49% loan?  If yes, how did the refi process go for you??

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 13 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Yes; I would do it. Lower payments will be favorable. One letter of explanation will be good.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 15
BumNT

No, no lates on my loan. Automatic withdraw every month so I don't have to worry about it.

-k

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.