cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance from FHA to Conventional Loan / Cashout & Home Equity Line of Credit Question

tag
apacislvallejo
New Contributor

Refinance from FHA to Conventional Loan / Cashout & Home Equity Line of Credit Question

I'm refinancing my FHA loan to rid myself of the PMI/or MIP .... because I didn't have the 20% down, and blah blah blah .... anyways.  I'm conditionally approved.  But when the appraiser came, he valued the house at $320K to where I thought the value would be at $270K, and my FHA loan balance and buyout is $215; which leaves me plenty of room to cashout, which I did for an additional recommended $40K. 

Could I also qualify for a home equity line of credit?  If so, should I ask now, it just cleared underwriting with a conditinal approval; and I submitted the documents to support this conditional approval ... so we haven't closed yet ... or should I wait until after close to go to another financial institution to request one ... and can i use the recent appraisal they used for this refinance? 

Thoughts?  Thanks, f.

FICO8 Updated: 3/11/2016
Eq: 803, Ex: 774, TU: 797
FICO9 Updated: 2/15/2016
Eq: 814; Ex: 793; Tu: 809 ----- TOTAL CL: $204,500
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Refinance from FHA to Conventional Loan / Cashout & Home Equity Line of Credit Question

A 2nd mortgage (HELOC or HEL) would require an underwriting review to start over from scratch.  There will also be a negative adjustment to the 1st mortgage rate if you do it simultaneously with the new 1st mortgage, so I'd recommend you just wait until after closing to pursue that option.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
apacislvallejo
New Contributor

Re: Refinance from FHA to Conventional Loan / Cashout & Home Equity Line of Credit Question

Thank you so much. I think that's valid. I'm definitely going to wait. Appreciate your response.
FICO8 Updated: 3/11/2016
Eq: 803, Ex: 774, TU: 797
FICO9 Updated: 2/15/2016
Eq: 814; Ex: 793; Tu: 809 ----- TOTAL CL: $204,500
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.