Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental history question

tag
amby5755
Valued Member

Rental history question

Hello everyone,

just something I'm wondering about...my husband and I are currently living with his parents and give them 400 a month to help with rent. Do you think it will still be required to show 12 months "rental history"? Do all lenders require proof of this?

thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Rental history question

Rental history isn't always needed.  The most common situations where rental history is needed is when your loan has to be manually underwritten.  However even in that situation, if you aren't on a rental agreement, then there is nothing to verify so you just write a letter of explanation that you are living rent free with your parents.  The requirement is usually:

Verification of current/previous rent payment for the most recent 12 months is required, if applicable

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Rental history question

not really lender specific...... depends on the loan situation. as shane mentioned.... manual underwrite needs rent verified9if applicable). approved thru automated underwriting doesnt

can you prove payments with check stubs?

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.