Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHANE/DALLAS HELP!!!

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Re: SHANE/DALLAS HELP!!!

@webhopper wrote:

And also, since you used rent money to pay for the furniture, then technically it really isn't yours right?  Should belong to the landlord upon you vacating the unit.

Nope, it's mine. The lease stipulated the place would have furniture and it didn't, so the secondary agreement allowed me to purchase it in lieu of rent as an "adjustment" in the price. I certainly wouldn't have agreed to the advertised price for an unfurnished place.  It really does depend on your market; in my area, there are short term rentals, interns, and folks needing to move in together to make ends meet, so around here, furnished is definitely a selling point (and no, I'm not even close to an "urban" area)

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 21 of 23
FrugalRican
Blogger

@webhopper wrote:
New tenants look at everything left behind as junk.

My apartment disagrees LOL

The previous tenant to my apartment was moving cross-country and couldn't afford to take his very manly dressers/drawers with him, so the landlord offered for me to keep them. I did.

He also left behind a sweet, sweet elegant looking black leather couch with some Ottomans. Wow!

And I was also given a dining room set.

It was like scoring at Ikea without actually buying anything. I know, I lucked out, but there are some real gems to be found from previous tenants sometimes!

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 22 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Guys I'm sorry if my comments were misconstrued! I come from a town of population of 200 folks; and lots of pine trees! My use of the phrase urban wasn't really directed at any certain socioeconomic group. My apologies for the misunderstanding. Every landlord does their leases differently; and I'm glad for you that you got to keep the furniture. My leases allow my tenants to make upgrades to the unit; and the cost of upgrades is deducted from the amount owed for rent. As such; if they put in a different style of blinds and turn in the reciept for credit; then the upgrades belong to me.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.