Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule c loss for $48,000

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Schedule c loss for $48,000

I am currently working with a lender and have a concern with a business loss my wite and I took for 2011. The loss was for $48,000 but we both have always worked and have w-2s outside the business. Will the $48,000 business loss be deducted out of a yearly salary on the new mortgage?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Schedule c loss for $48,000

Anytime you have self-employment income (loss), lender will usually use your average income over the past 2-3 tax returns as a basis for your mortgage. If you average a loss, then that income would likely be subtracted from your annual W-2 income from non-self employed jobs.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@cdtotten wrote:

Anytime you have self-employment income (loss), lender will usually use your average income over the past 2-3 tax returns as a basis for your mortgage. If you average a loss, then that income would likely be subtracted from your annual W-2 income from non-self employed jobs.

^^^^ Yes, exactly right.

The lender wants to make sure you have enough funds to make the mortgage payment and if you are shoring up business losses from another job, then it *appears* to the lender as a debt, rather than as income. That's why they want P&L's and tax returns, so they can see exactly what is going on with your finances. The object is to see if you have enough money to make the payments given your expenses.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

That's what my lender told me. We showed a loss of a few thousand each in 2008 and 2009 when we app'd for our mortgage at the start of 2011. They had the flexibility to average those two years and it still showed a hefty loss. They ended up subtacting it from the other income. They also added a condition whereby I had to show a 2010 profit on a P&L since we hadn't yet received all of our tax docs to file for 2010. They also gave us the opportunity to amend our taxes for 2008 and 2009, but that would have meant a hefty tax bill. Thankfully our 2010 biz income showed a large profit and we provided proof to back up the self-prepared P&L.

Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@llecs wrote:

That's what my lender told me. We showed a loss of a few thousand each in 2008 and 2009 when we app'd for our mortgage at the start of 2011. They had the flexibility to average those two years and it still showed a hefty loss. They ended up subtacting it from the other income. They also added a condition whereby I had to show a 2010 profit on a P&L since we hadn't yet received all of our tax docs to file for 2010. They also gave us the opportunity to amend our taxes for 2008 and 2009, but that would have meant a hefty tax bill. Thankfully our 2010 biz income showed a large profit and we provided proof to back up the self-prepared P&L.

Again ^^^^ this is how its handled.  The only thing I would caution you about now is amending your tax returns.  I know that Chase puts a red flag on the file if they see amended tax returns for the two years prior to obtaining a mortgage. This is a fairly new event (the red flag). I noticed it with a couple of clients in the past 18 months more or less.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.