Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score For Best Rate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score For Best Rate

On FHA loans what mid score do you need to get the current market rate without being penalized for having a lower score?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Score For Best Rate

Depends on the lender overlays.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 12
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

Imscangel17, one LO said I would need a 680 for market rate. Since I only have a 634, I was quoted 4.125% which seems really high for an FHA. Another lender said he could get me a 3.75%, but seeing as that he's the only 1 out of 4 that quoted the lower rate, I am definitely skeptical.
Bankruptcy discharged: May 2014 Starting Score: 571 Goal Score: 700
Current Score: 676 (EQ FICO) 674 (EX FICO) 662 (TU FICO)

Mortgage Loan Originator in Kentucky
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully I can get there by the time I'm ready to app! Mid score is at 671 right now with a paid charge off and some lates that I'm trying to get removed.

Message 4 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@GirlMelanie89 wrote:
Imscangel17, one LO said I would need a 680 for market rate. Since I only have a 634, I was quoted 4.125% which seems really high for an FHA. Another lender said he could get me a 3.75%, but seeing as that he's the only 1 out of 4 that quoted the lower rate, I am definitely skeptical.

^^^This is a very high requirement for FHA.  I use lenders that require 620 to 640 for market rate.  I haven't seen any at 680.  I think there might be something else going on - lender overlay or something with the file. IIRC GirlMelanie has a major derog within the last 2+ years.  Not that that is an issue  but it may very well affect her individual file. GirlMelanie - correct me if I am wrong about the derog. Just trying to give perspective

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

StartingOver- is there a website that you recommend to track the daily FHA market rate?

Message 6 of 12
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@GirlMelanie89 wrote:

^^^This is a very high requirement for FHA.  I use lenders that require 620 to 640 for market rate.  I haven't seen any at 680.  I think there might be something else going on - lender overlay or something with the file. IIRC GirlMelanie has a major derog within the last 2+ years.  Not that that is an issue  but it may very well affect her individual file. GirlMelanie - correct me if I am wrong about the derog. Just trying to give perspective

Hi StartingOver10, I thought it was as well. Yes, I do have a recent derog, late payments post BK 15 months ago. But even the 4th LO quoted a 4.125% without knowing that info. Im still waiting on LO 1 to tell me if he really can get the 3.75%. If he cannot, I am going to try for a construction loan which would allow 6 months to build the home and 6 months to get past the 640 threshold.

Bankruptcy discharged: May 2014 Starting Score: 571 Goal Score: 700
Current Score: 676 (EQ FICO) 674 (EX FICO) 662 (TU FICO)

Mortgage Loan Originator in Kentucky
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on the lender. While FHA is much less sensitive to credit score, it still has a minor impact. For example, we have different FHA rate brackets for 600-639, 640-679, one for 680-719, and one for 720+. The differences in rate are about 1/8% per bracket - much less impact than conventional loans.

Message 8 of 12
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

This week, my inside lender is quoting 3.625% for 30yr FHA loan. A 620 min is required. Rates, terms and guidelines vary by lender.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends on the lender. While FHA is much less sensitive to credit score, it still has a minor impact. For example, we have different FHA rate brackets for 600-639, 640-679, one for 680-719, and one for 720+. The differences in rate are about 1/8% per bracket - much less impact than conventional loans.

To confirm that I have this right in my head... a higher score for FHA doesn't affect the rates much but it would help get me past any lender overlays and make the process easier with being self employed, correct?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.