Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score drops for Mortgage credit pulls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score drops for Mortgage credit pulls

Why would my scores drop from mortgage inquiries? They aren't small either one is 16 points! 

6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score drops for Mortgage credit pulls

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would my scores drop from mortgage inquiries? They aren't small either one is 16 points! 

They're still seeking credit.

Mortgage inquiries have a grace period of 30 days for scoring purposes though.

        
Message 2 of 7
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They're still seeking credit.

Mortgage inquiries have a grace period of 30 days for scoring purposes though.

+1

Still a hard pull. Hopefully you'll find a house. In the market where I am mixed with the time period (hot market) that I was looking, it took a couple years to find something. So I had a HP every 6 months or so.

Also, If and when your mortage gets picked up, they may sell. When my mortage company sold mine, I noticed a 5pt drop for each of my 2 resales. I saw a open, close for each.

Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

In general, mortgage inquiries have a small impact on your credit scores. For most people, one additional mortgage inquiry will take less than five points off their credit Scores. If you find a mortgage within 30 days, the mortgage inquiries won't affect your scores while you're rate shopping.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that's why I'm confused by it we had 4 pulls total 2 by each company before and after rescore. They were all from 12/26 to 1/15 so that isn't even in over the 30 day period.

Message 5 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, that's why I'm confused by it we had 4 pulls total 2 by each company before and after rescore. They were all from 12/26 to 1/15 so that isn't even in over the 30 day period.

Something else changed then TBH or the inquiries weren't flagged correctly but the overwhelming majority of them are since it's almost always done by one of a few third party services.

Which score(s) moved specifically?  

        
Message 6 of 7
TXPocohontas
Regular Contributor

I had the same issue.  My scores dropped because the builder rep pulled it 3 times and then the actual mortgage pulled twice.  My scores have dropped 16-25 points due to this.  Auuuggghhhh.  Thank goodness the underwriter still approved me.

Starting Fico 8 Score Dec 2019: 469 TU 501 EQ 453 EX
Current Score: 819 TU 795 EQ 796 EX
Goal Score: 820 Across the board
First Premier CL $600 BAL $0, Lane Bryant CL $750 BAL $0, Credit One AMEX CL $600 BAL $0, NFCU Visa CL $11,100 BAL $0, Capital One QuickSilver CL $2000 BAL $0,Capital One Savor CL $3000 BAL $0,Discover CL $10,000 BAL $0,Ashleys Homestore CL $3500 BAL $0,
Bobs Furniture AKA Wells Fargo CL $3100 BAL $0,LATE PAYS/COLLECTIONS/BANKRUPTCIES/CHARGEOFFS/JUDGEMENTS 0
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.