Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score needed to Rent?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score needed to Rent?

Hello all. I'm looking to move out and rent a place of my own. Anyone know what kind of score is need to get in without a co-signer? Is there a minimum? Any help would be appreciated. Looking to move ASAP. My EQ and TU Fico scores are mid 600s. 

Thanks all! 

Robot Very Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ceejx
Established Contributor

Re: Score needed to Rent?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all. I'm looking to move out and rent a place of my own. Anyone know what kind of score is need to get in without a co-signer? Is there a minimum? Any help would be appreciated. Looking to move ASAP. My EQ and TU Fico scores are mid 600s. 

Thanks all! 

Robot Very Happy

Don't think there's a specific score requirement as I've had my score not retrievable by FICO with recent lates, charge offs, etc... and had no problem renting, but they may require you go give one or two months down payment depending on your overall story, meaning your criminal history, bankruptcy, charge-offs, etc...

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't think there's a specific score requirement as I've had my score not retrievable by FICO with recent lates, charge offs, etc... and had no problem renting, but they may require you go give one or two months down payment depending on your overall story, meaning your criminal history, bankruptcy, charge-offs, etc...

Cool. Thats encouraging. My story is pretty clean. I have a medical bill in collections I'm planning on fixing. No criminal history and I work on an ambulance. Thanks for the reply!! Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 8
Project17
New Contributor

For the most part atleast here in the Northeast your credit score is really third concern for  most landlords.. First is your income and job, next is your past rental history which is pretty important and then credit criminal etc.. Honestly a lot of landlord property managers don't even check your credit some will say they will just to see if you say anything first.

If you are looking at a community type property they tend to be a little stricter but even they have eased up on their requirements.. 

There is a system out there that has people who have broken leases and not paid rent but I don't think it used that much since it is used pretty much by larger companies.

I get a kick of of places who do a criminal check.. Any one who thinks they are getting a good or even decent background check for $20 or $30 is sadly mistaken. For a good background check your looking at a couple hundred dollars and up. In some states a person actually has to go to a court house to even get a record.

Message 4 of 8
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

Mine was 572  and I only had to pay the normal deposits and 1st months rent. It does depend of the complex though, some that are very popular can be very choosey if they wanted to

Message 5 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Here in my area of S Fl there are specific credit score requirements for some condo's and some apt complexes. I have seen a score requirement set by various owners too, but that is fairly rare for an individual owner to set a min score requirement. The most common score requirement I have seen is a minimum of 650 - under that they won't rent to you regardless. However, it is a small percentage of the communities that have an iron clad rule about the score.

Message 6 of 8
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

really depends on if you're renting from a management company or direct land lord.  Many landlords don't even want to spend money on a credit check so they may make their decision based purely on your rental history and income. 

Message 7 of 8
Lasardo
Established Contributor

I found anything over 600 they even waive the deposits..

CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.