Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 8

tag
netsfan549
Regular Contributor

Section 8

My grandma was approved for section 8. Is it true that they help her buy a house? I was loooking at her like shes crazy lol, but she could be right.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Section 8

Section 8 is rental assistance

Message 2 of 6
starry1
Valued Contributor

No, that is false.  Section 8 only helps to pay rent for very-low income families or the elderly/disabled.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, section 8 does have homebuyers programs. It would be like a transitional program and they no longer would be on section 8.

Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 6
kjel
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Used google, this is the link I found about this program: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/public_indian_housing/programs/hcv/homeowne...

This is correct. I do work with two local Section 8 to Homeownership programs as part of my job-we provide the required housing counseling component of the program.

The Section 8 benefit has to be awarded in the form of a voucher, meaning that the recipient chooses what apartment they would like to live in provided there is a qualified landlord willing to accept the voucher as payment. Recipients that live in public housing that do not have the voucher do not qualify for the program because the Section 8 is tied to the dwelling itself and not the individual.

There are often minimum income limits required to ensure that homeownership remains sustainable. An elderly or disabled recipient has an unlimited amount of years they are able to receive the assistance as a homeowner. All others have a 15 year maximum benefit period. Essentially how it works is that the family purchases a  home and Section 8 pays 70% of the mortgage payment and the recipient 30% although the recipients share can exceed this. The recipient would still need to be mortgage quailified and have a small downpayment. Oftentimes a local downpayment assistance grant can be layered on top.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.