Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-employed year-to-year sales...

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Self-employed year-to-year sales...

How does it affect a loan if you are self-employed and your year-to-year sales are slightly lower than the previous year, but net income is up?

I just got my taxes back to preview from the accountant and compared them to the previoius years and gross sales were down 1.2% but net taxable income was up 17.5%.

I assume they want to see a positive trend in your business but is that both for gross sales and for income? 

There is a Form 1084 that is to be used to figure out income for self-employed individuals but there seem to be a couple different versions online. The first, which is the one I used, called 1084A says:

"Once the income available to the borrower for qualifying purposes has been determined, the lender should reevaluate

the “S” corporation’s overall financial position, using the Comparative Income Analysis (Form 1088) or other alternative documentation that FNMA considers acceptable."

I filled out a Comparative Income Analysis (FannieMae Form 1088) and at the end of the form it says:

"The Taxable Income Trend is: ___Increasing ____Level ____Decreasing"

Going off of Form 1088, the taxable income trend is increasing (1.6% from 2010 to 2011 and 17.5% from 2011 to 2012).

But there is another FannieMae Form 1084 I found online that says:

The following sources of income may be considered for qualification provides:

1. The borrower can document ownership and access to income:

2. The business has adequate liquidity to support withdrawl of earning, and;

3. The business has positive sales and earnings trends

Any lenders with experience in this or someone who has gone through this process when owning your own business (corporation)?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Self-employed year-to-year sales...

I'm not in the industry or anything.  Just another self-employed borrower.  However I do not think they'll look that deep to be honest.  Though I have heard of some borrowers being asked for a P&L statement, the big qualifier is two full, taxable years of self employment.  Digging much deeper would probably require some kind of a trigger.

Message 2 of 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Mine decreased too, but my taxes showed an increase as well. I had to write a letter explaining.

Message 3 of 7
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

Mine decreased too, but my taxes showed an increase as well. I had to write a letter explaining.

Dang, really? So they did notice and they did ask? What was your explanation?

Message 4 of 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Told them I took a new job with lower base and higher bonus.

Message 5 of 7
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Ok well hopefully it won't be an issue. Like I said, total sales decreased but net income (profit) was up because we sold different products that cost less but had a much higher margin.

Message 6 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

this wont be a problem.

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.