cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller has not responded to request for repairs.

tag
light_in_Spanish
Valued Member

Seller has not responded to request for repairs.

I'm a little worried,
The inspection was done and the repair request was sent 6 days ago. I have not hear from seller wether they agreed on repairs. I asked my agent and he emailed sellrer's attorney Friday, but still no answer. Is it normal for a seller to take this long to answer?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Seller has not responded to request for repairs.

Are you still within the due diligence period?

Response time could depend upon those contract dates.   OF course it could depend on the seller checking with contractors, subs and/or handymen regarding the cost of repairs, etc or they could simply be wasting time--tough to tell, but have your agent continue to reach out to their agent. 

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 11
JVille
Valued Contributor

Tell your agent to pick up the GD phone and do their job! And call 10 times if that’s what it takes.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JVille wrote:
Tell your agent to pick up the GD phone and do their job! And call 10 times if that’s what it takes.

This. Attorneys get dozens if not more emails a day, and in my experience, are more responsive to phone calls. You want to avoid situation where seller is stalling so that contingency deadline passes. If the deadline is approaching, tell your agent to write an ammendment that extends the deadlines and fax it to their attorney.

Roughly, what is the scope of repairs?

Message 4 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@NC_Mtg_Loaner wrote:

Are you still within the due diligence period?

Response time could depend upon those contract dates.   OF course it could depend on the seller checking with contractors, subs and/or handymen regarding the cost of repairs, etc or they could simply be wasting time--tough to tell, but have your agent continue to reach out to their agent. 

OP, in VA sales contract (home inspection addendum), the buyer has 10 days to have a home inspection completed, 3 days to forward requested repairs to Seller, and then Seller has 3 days to respond to buyer. Was this type of contingency in your contract?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JVille wrote:

This. Attorneys get dozens if not more emails a day, and in my experience, are more responsive to phone calls. You want to avoid situation where seller is stalling so that contingency deadline passes. If the deadline is approaching, tell your agent to write an ammendment that extends the deadlines and fax it to their attorney.

Roughly, what is the scope of repairs?

I'm a different kind of animal. If my repair request was fair and not petty, and Seller treated me this way (not so much as a professional courtesy response), I would withdraw my contract or let the deadline pass. No way would I give an extension. But then that's just my pettiness. And I know, I know, wouldn't really solve anything. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 11
light_in_Spanish
Valued Member

I emailed my attorney yesterday and he contacted the seller's attorney. My request is reasonable, I want the breakers to be labeled, make sure Washer and dryer are working (inspector couldn't get to them because they left stuff inside and on top) to repair a bathroom leak in bathroom wall and replace cracked window. She can say no and I just move on, there are other places coming up and she is just wasting time. The house won't appraise if they don't make those repairs.
If today I don't hear anything I'm moving on, my LO is waiting to start the mortgage approval process.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the appraisal would be affected by those repairs.

However, if there are similar places which may be available, given the little we know here, I'd move on. My reasoning is, given seller reluctance, and the types of maintenance repairs identified, there are likely lurking issues.

Message 8 of 11
light_in_Spanish
Valued Member

Heard back from attorney, they agreed with some repairs and will get an estimate from a plumber for bathroom leak. Today they will let us know if they will fix it or not. Hopefully it's nothing major, the inspector saw water/humidity on lower part of wall, but couldn't confirm what was causing it. Closing is at the end of July, so we have some time. Fingers crossed.
Message 9 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@light_in_Spanish wrote:
Heard back from attorney, they agreed with some repairs and will get an estimate from a plumber for bathroom leak. Today they will let us know if they will fix it or not. Hopefully it's nothing major, the inspector saw water/humidity on lower part of wall, but couldn't confirm what was causing it. Closing is at the end of July, so we have some time. Fingers crossed.

And not to put a damper on things, but hopefully, it’s a recent leak and he doesnt find any mold.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.