Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I refi?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I refi?

Opinions please:  I owe ~$90K on my house, it's worth $200K.  I have 11.5 years left on a 15 year fixed rate mortgage at 4.25 percent.  I can modify my loan with my current bank to a ten-year fixed at 3.25%.  We cureently pay extra each month.  My bank requires a $1500 fee to modify.  Should I do it?  Goal is to pay off quicker and also save on interest/fees.  Looking at my financial situation I have decided that paying off debt is priority one, and this Mortgage is the only debt remaining.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I refi?

EDIT:  mu current loan is 4.5 not 4.25 percent...sorry.

Message 2 of 5
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Looks like a good deal to me.

Message 3 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Opinions please:  I owe ~$90K on my house, it's worth $200K.  I have 11.5 years left on a 15 year fixed rate mortgage at 4.25 percent.  I can modify my loan with my current bank to a ten-year fixed at 3.25%.  We cureently pay extra each month.  My bank requires a $1500 fee to modify.  Should I do it?  Goal is to pay off quicker and also save on interest/fees.  Looking at my financial situation I have decided that paying off debt is priority one, and this Mortgage is the only debt remaining.  Thanks!

I ran the calculations in a couple of different ways using different assumptions:

Assuming you keep the current mortgage and make only the required payment, your total interest paid is: $25452

Assuming you keep the current mortgage and make the required payment + $100 per month, your total interest paid is: 23832

Assuming you keep the current mortgage and pay $1500 towards principle in Jan 2013 as well as $100 extra per month (instead of paying $1500 to refi), your total interest paid is: 20978

Assuming you refi to a 15 year mortgage and pay 100$ extra:  Your total interest paid is 19583

Assuming you refi to a 15 year mortgage and pay only the minimum: Your total interest paid is: 21808

Assuming you refi to a 15 year mortgage and pay $100 extra plus the difference b/w the current payment and the new payment (around $200): Your total interest paid is: 14390.

It looks like you could save yourself at least 10k in interest by refinancing IF you choose to continue to pay the current payment plus $100 extra per month.

My vote goes to refinance, and be diligent about paying the same amount that you've been paying even though the required payment has been reduced.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 5
deg757
Regular Contributor

The general rule of thumb that we tell our clients is that if you have more than five years remaining on your loan and the interest rate difference is around 2% points then you should refinance. Usually if you have less than five year remaining, the interest savings won't pay for the sttlement charges to refinance. Keep in mind that I am not in the banking or lending business, just a CPA, so someone else might have better advice.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.