Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use NACA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I use NACA?

111mel you are wrong!!!

As I said before you know nothing about NACA that deal with credit scores at all!  The don't try to get you to raise them because they don't deal with them.  You give great info on things you know about 111 but this you don't have a clue for you to continue to give bad info about NACA is wreckless.  This is not a program about scores, it's about where you are with your finaces and can you actual afford a home and all of the other things that go along with it.  It's not about prefacing your comment it's about your info being dead wrong and allowing people to absorb it as the truth.  Please do some fact checking you will see NACA is not for the down and out its for anyone who would like to purchase a home with great financing and good backing and some one to talk to once you get in the house and might have a question or two.  Credit Scores not required.

Message 11 of 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Wanted to remind everyone to be friendly and courteous towards one another.
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

FIRST COMMENT: SCORES AREN'T REQUIRED...................then why are you stil sitting on the sidelines?

Finances = FICO scores...same difference.

Yes, the main page of NACA says "credit scores not required"..........do research.........I have and it is below.......no reckless advice, only facts maam!

I gave up on reading the NACA thread months ago when the original poster got "hot" on the idea that I was a victim of this foreclosure mess.

Simple fact is 'maybe' they don't technically talk scores, but from what I have read, talked to my mortgage broker about, my real estate broker about.........you finally get approved when the 'silent' score is passed........

They pull your credit at the beginning? Answer is "yes". THEN THEY SET OUT SOME RIDICULOUS PROGRAM TO MAKE YOU 'CONFORM' (think 9th grade social studies) .....Then They make you wait at least 30 days after a class to talk to someone, Answer is "yes". They make you pull a highwire act to get to the point where you get a loan through them? Answer is "yes" (by then your score is at least 720).

This particular poster asked a question in regards to their situation.....In his/her situation and the timely facts of the matters in regards to this program....they should go FHA....

I have researched it all for the last year...I joined on 2-13-08 when I decided that with planning I could buy a house.

I'll go head-to-head with you and I can guarantee I have researched every program out there to no end.... and can answer 90% of your questions with accuracy.

Simple fact is I am tired of people being rude on this site.....I of course know that in some responses I can be harsh, but it is only because I have experienced it so strongly and have conviction in my comments...

Edited: What is your excuse??? I am guessing you read the original poster of the NACA thread's comments (who to date is silent) and now respond to the few comments I made..........I was insynch with the other negative comments on this board (for NACA) , but somehow I have been pulled out and mentioned enough for your posts to recognize me (read the other 800+ posts then form an opinion and then we can compare notes)

I am open and honest about every step and will be happy to "share" my experiences with others.....and will continue to do so because it means a lot to me.........

Message Edited by 1111mel on 02-19-2009 12:23 AM
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am with NACA and I am currently at the Underwriting stage my "scores" are not the greatest (my middle score's are in the 600's) I have never ever been told to raise my score to "720" Thsi is just false information.I have been with NACA for 4 months, The criteria was 12 months of rent paid on time, all credit cards paid on time 12 months no lates, make out a clear budget that includes everything (movies, fast food, toiltress) Save the difference between what you pay in rent vs. what you're mortgage will be(Shock payment they call it) your savings should include earnest money and inspectors fee and money for three months of taxes and insurance for your home (mine's was about $3,000.00 dollars) They do not look at any medical collections on your report or anything over 2 Years.  They do ask you to write out a brief statement recalling why the bills didn't get paid and how you reconcilled them if at all. I have never been asked to raise my score nor have I ever been told I would have to wait until my scores reached a certain point.

I am sorry but I am not sure where you are getting your facts from but I actually participate in the program.  I'm not on the outside looking in.  The goal is to be a homeowner.  NACA affords you that opportunity thru making sure you know exactly what you are getting inito and not shoe horning you into a mortgage or bringing about some inflated or creative product.  They shoot straight from the hip. To get a mortgage thru NACA you will understand budgeting, you will be able to afford them home you buy and if you ever need any help as long as you have that home they will help you in any way possible.  Your Loan is thru Bank of America and it is not bundled and sold off to another loan company. 

I know how people really rely on these threads( They have helped me soooo muchh!!)  I just don't want false information going out to anyone especially if I have first hand knowledge of the situation.

Edited 02.19.09 by Gigi5

Message Edited by gigi5 on 02-19-2009 07:40 AM
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dallasgirl, Your realtor will have to go through the NACA training before they can work with NACA on your behalf.

It's only a slow tedious process if you don't come correct on your first appointment. Upload everything they ask for before the appointment. Bring everything they could possibly ask for (even stuff you already uploaded or faxed).

If your stuff is in order and you have everything from the last 2 years paid off, decent money saved with no NSF, you could be in a home by August. (According to my counselor 45 to 60 days for cases with no task list and a house already picked out)

I can see how 111 feels and I can see Gigi's point as well.

Here's the thing. NACA has eligibility requirements just like FHA and any other hole in the wall that lends money for any purpose.

With other programs, when you don't meet that criteria, you just get denied, rejected, turned down, and sent on your way. NACA has steps in place for the people who don't have stuff in order, to get their mess straight. This way it's not exactly a door slamming in your face but a helping hand.

So they have their own little terminology for regular stuff. "Shock Payment" Like saying there is no PMI. True no PMI but there is a $50 NACA membership fee due every month. Most homowners can tell you traditional PMI is much higher than $50. They say no down payment and no closing costs. But you still have to have money for inspection and insurance before you can close. The guy who referred me paid $800 for inspection and $300 for insurance. (might have it backwards) I've never heard of anybody paying $1200 at closing with no money down.

There is a problem in America where lenders trick people into mortgages then baloon the interest (fine print) and people can't manage their money in way to cover it. So NACA addresses the issue by making sure the people they work with know how to manage money plus guarantee a fixed rate. They do this by having you create a budget and live by it as proof of feasibility. If you are not in shape financially, you have to jump through a few hoops to et in shape. So what, if FHA or anybody else denied you, you'd still have to do all that stuff anyway on your own.

The huge downside is the time it takes. The counselors have huge case loads and the majority of work is done by volenteers so there is a nice bit of disorganization in the process.

I have read several success stories of people who did their homework, got their stuff in order before hand, and got approved very quickly with interest rates 2.5% below market and no down payment.

The only people complaining are the ones who failed to properly prepare themselves and now have a task list to shape up their economic situations.

I will say this; My comments are based on forsight. I have yet to attend my first appointment with a counselor. I am optimistic the process will be painless since I have already met every eligibilty criteria they have.

Message 15 of 18
chigrrrrl
New Contributor

Does anyone know if naca requests "verification of deposit" from my bank? My bank charges for this and I'm just curious...Thanks!
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I, too, am researching the purchase of my first home.  Was given information for NACA.  Upon visiting their website, realized that it may not be for me.  At least, not as a first option.  NACA is designed for those that have experienced or anticipate difficulty qualifying for and/or affording the typical costs required during the purchase of a home.  From NACA's website:  "NACA provides the best home purchase program in America. NACA provides free personalized and comprehensive counseling to all Members to address your particular credit and financial issues and help determine a mortgage payment you can afford. NACA’s counseling and underwriting criteria are “character-based” and not based on credit scores and ratios. This enables us to fulfill our mission of assisting working people who otherwise do not have access to affordable credit. Consequently, the vast majority of NACA Members are low- to moderate-income many of whom have neither perfect credit nor substantial savings."

I'm certain that NACA offers money saving benefits (no money out-of-pocket at closing, budget counseling, etc.) to all who follow the steps to become a member, but it's primary intended audience is one of potential buyers who have/will face challenges.

I am hoping that I will be able to use another program or none at all.  For NACA, though, there appears to be very stringent requirements AFTER you've moved into your new home.  These requirements / guidelines are not ideal for me.  

Message 17 of 18
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Naca is not a bad program for the ones that need the assisstance.

It has helped many get into homes that most likely wouldnt have qualified for several years.

The process is long, if we miss a step it can delay things for months. But once again it is an option for some and worth all the steps and requirements.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.