Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Started the journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Started the journey

Well I started the home buying journey over the weekend.  What an interesting process, I havent bought a home in 11yrs and things have changed!  I was pretty sure my scores would be in the low 700's but they have come back way better than expected.  My mid score is 749 which is sweet for me.  If anyone has followed a bit of my story from other threads than you kind of know a bit.

Long story but my SL was forgiven in February so I was finally able to look at buying a home.  I was divorced about 4.5 yrs ago and lost all my savings and half everything.  I started the credit recover process with a 538 credit score but have done pretty well so far!

now I just have to find the right loan and a good APR and then the big process will be finding a good house in our seriously HOT market. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Started the journey

Congrats on your comeback. It has to be a good feeling to be in the driver’s seat again. Is the 749 your middle FICO mortgage score? This will get you a nice APR. 

Have fun in your home search. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 7
LakeLife
Established Contributor

I know how a divorce can wreak havic with credit, and I had that struggle too starting in 2011.  It was everything I could do to keep my head above water including basically living off of credit cards for 3 years.  Luckily, I was responsible with credit beforehand and had generous limits that even enabled that.  In the past two years I have finally gotten my UTIL down to a point the scores are really climbing.  Just keep plugging away at it and you'll continue to have those results.  Congrats!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes 749 is my middle score. Now I need you to find a house that isn’t gone in a day. I’ve lost 2 houses so far because by the time I could get up to look at it the house was under contract.
Very frustrated!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

good luck on the house hunt

Message 5 of 7
JVille
Valued Contributor

With a market that hot you need to make sure you have a Pre-Approval all dialed in before you go ANY further.
Message 6 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes 749 is my middle score. Now I need you to find a house that isn’t gone in a day. I’ve lost 2 houses so far because by the time I could get up to look at it the house was under contract.
Very frustrated!

My experience was just the opposite. I submitted a contract for full price on 2 homes the first day they went on the market. Lost out on both. One came in with a higher offer but I had already made up my mind that I wasn’t going to play the escalation clause game. The second winner had a no home inspection contingency, which was another thing I was not going to waiver on. 

My 3rd contract for full price and a home inspection contingency was submitted on the day it went on the market. It was accepted in 3 hrs. For this one, I didn’t ask for any closing costs and I could close in 30 days. 

It was frustrating to lose out on the first 2 when it happened but I can honestly say I love the 3rd home way better than the first 2 that I wrote a contract on. This was the preferred neighborhood I wanted to live in but there was nothing for sale I could afford. Then, like magic, one came on the market in my price range that fit what I was looking for. It’s weird how things sometimes work out. Losing out in the beginning may be your win in the end. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.