Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting mortgage process after credit rebuild

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starting mortgage process after credit rebuild

I'm starting the process to obtain a mortgage.  Been renting way too long.

Long story short - my FICO scores have been in high 680's for a while (meaning FICO8).  The reason they are low is because of high utilization.  I've paid off close to 50K in credit cards and only have a few now that will have a balance.  I have a car loan and a p2p loan from lending club.  

Will have approx 100K in cash for down payment (22 %) and also have 40K in the bank for rainy day.  My mortgage FICO scores are much lower than the my FICO 8.  Is it possible that my mortgage FICO will jump since I've paid off most of my CC debt?  

DTI ratio will be 35% (including the potential mortgage payment and car loan, motorcycle loan and cc payments).

Yearly gross income is 150K

No lates, no derog - just high utilization.

Do I have a chance??

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starting mortgage process after credit rebuild

Congrats, you seem to be in a pretty good postion from what I understand.  I think that your mortgage FICOs should increase with your lower DTI though I did read on here somewhere that it's more reflective when the percentage dops below 30%.  I don't know what factors the mortgage scores, it doesn't appear obvious to me.  All I know, like you, my mortgage scores are way less than my FICO 8.  Best of luck and hopefully you'll get some good responses from other members here!

Message 2 of 6
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

Wow! I wish I had more clients like you. Great job saving and good income. Although your scores are not over 700, you will have ZERO issues getting your loan approved. Piece of cake deal!

Best wishes to you!

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I'm getting nervous because I havne't done the preapproval yet because I want all the payments to reflect on my report.  Some having a statement closing date mid month.  I want to get the preapproval soon because it's a good time to buy.  I'm guessing it makes more sense to wait until things show paid before I attempt

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also - I know my FICO 8 scores seem to improve with cc payments (especially the paid off ones) but I'm worried my FICO mortgage score wont' see the bump I'm hoping.

Message 5 of 6
JVille
Valued Contributor

Time to buy your Actual Mortgage Scores. You can get All 3 right here on this website. Start following the scores that actually count.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.