Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State tax liens

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

State tax liens

Can state tax liens showing on credit report from 2006 stop you from qualifying for a mortgage?  Will they affect a VA loan?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: State tax liens

Are you in the process of paying them? Do you have a payment plan set up? I believe that any judgment or lien on a credit report or found during title search needs to be settled before you can get approved for any mortgage.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a SC tax lien for $173 from 1994 showing only on one credit report hold up my VA Loan preapproval. I had already taken care of this lien back in '94 but in order to move forward I had to have proof of satisfied lien even though the reporting credit agency agreed to remove because of age and amount of loan. Many phone calls later I had them e-mail me a copy. So from my experience I would say you need to address these liens before going forward with a mortgage.

Message 3 of 8
vlaw1084
Contributor

Definitely before you can close the state lien needs to be addressed on a VA loan. They will want to see a payment plan set up if it has not been paid in full and that you have been paying on that lien.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for responding to my question. your answer helps me out a lot.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the process of coming to an agreement with the tax agency. All of your answers answered my question. I now know what to expect and what to do.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a  satisfied state lien showing on my credit report and although it is paid/satisfied/released it remains on my Equifax credit report.  The bureau told me I have to wait for it to fall off but the other two CB's removed it.  Any ideas?  I wanted this to come off before I apply for a home loan.

Message 7 of 8
rinkgirl2
Valued Member

dlr4338 - How did you get the bureaus to remove it from your report?  We have a paid state tax lien and I'm wondering if there's any way to get rid of it.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.