Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streamline Refinancing on an FHA loan?

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Streamline Refinancing on an FHA loan?

Anyone out there an expert on "Streamline" refinancing an FHA loan?  I've heard a lot about the programs and want to know if I qualify.

I found this: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/buying/streamli

We are just over two years into a 30 year fixed at 4.5%, and would love to shave some points or even eliminate the MIP.  Has anyone here done this, and what did you have to do to qualify?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Streamline Refinancing on an FHA loan?

I believe one of the requirements is to reduce your payment by at least 5%. You have a great rate at 4.5 so that may be hard to do at todays rates....  I believe someone told me you can't use it to rid yourself of MIP unless you have 22% equity and choose a 15 year FHA.

Message 2 of 6
john398
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe one of the requirements is to reduce your payment by at least 5%. You have a great rate at 4.5 so that may be hard to do at todays rates....  I believe someone told me you can't use it to rid yourself of MIP unless you have 22% equity and choose a 15 year FHA.

not to highjack this thread but I am 2 years and 6 months into a FHA at 5.5% fixed, is there any calculaters that say where you can calculate payment savings?

Message 3 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

not to highjack this thread but I am 2 years and 6 months into a FHA at 5.5% fixed, is there any calculaters that say where you can calculate payment savings?

The problem is the MIP - insurance rates are up so you need a significant rate savings in order to see any lower payment.  Your Loan Officer can run those numbers for you, and should do it for free.

Message 4 of 6
john398
Senior Contributor

@p- wrote:

@john398 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem is the MIP - insurance rates are up so you need a significant rate savings in order to see any lower payment.  Your Loan Officer can run those numbers for you, and should do it for free.

Ok got ya, I may check with quicken

Message 5 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

I do these all of the time.... 

If you are under the old MI plan then you might not want to refi. Doesn't hurt/cost to get a quote though. ;-)

You cannot eliminate MI anymore on the 15yr loan. That is old guidelines.

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.