Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Deferment and applying for a mortgage

tag
ilkhats44
Established Member

Student Loan Deferment and applying for a mortgage

I have a student loan via the federal goverment, with loan payments being suspended, for the next 6 months, how will mortage companies factor the DTI? I believe it will show up on the credit report as being closed or $0 monthly. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Deferment and applying for a mortgage

@ilkhats44 wrote:

I have a student loan via the federal goverment, with loan payments being suspended, for the next 6 months, how will mortage companies factor the DTI? I believe it will show up on the credit report as being closed or $0 monthly. 

I believe they would use 1% of the total loan amount as a monthly debt, i could be wrong though. This is what i have been told by a lender

Message 2 of 3
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Student Loan Deferment and applying for a mortgage

@ilkhats44 wrote:

Each loan program has a slightly different way of calculating the monthly payment that will be used.

For example: FHA will use 1% of the balance as your monthly payment while VA will use 5% of the balance divided by 12.

What type of loan are going for?

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.