cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan and Mortgage Question

tag
Regular Contributor

Student Loan and Mortgage Question

I wrote this in another thread, but didn't get a response.  I'm still interested to see if anybody has any insight.

I apologize for my confusion, but why would an underwrite give the applicant "points" for deferring their student loans, when they'll only have to begin payment on them anyway.  I have faithfully paid my student loans on time (and every other bill), every month since graduation (5 years ago), but since it increases my DTI, it effects me.  Do underwriters usually take the payment history into consideration?

My student loans aren't going anywhere for 15 years (hopefully sooner), so I don't know why postponing payments should be rewarded and somebody given a mortgage. I pay $275/mo on a $46K salary, so what's the difference if it affects me now or later by deferring them?

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 7/8/10: TU - 738 EQ - 750
Previous Score: 1/22/10: TU - 703 EQ - 714
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Student Loan and Mortgage Question

They do not get points - FHA guidelines do not require them to be counted into the debt ratios if they are deferred for 12 or more months? USDA does count them - it is not an UW thing it is a guideline thing. My guess is that they are thinking the student loans will increase future pay but that is speculation on my part.

They will look at your payment history as part of your credit profile but you will have to count the student loans as monthly debt

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.