Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan reporting lates on CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan reporting lates on CR

I have a student loan that was paid after collection.  It shows as Closed/Paid as Agreed on EQ and TU, but on EX it shows as having twenty-five (25) 90-day lates:

EX report reads:
  • date opened 1/01
  • date of last payment 11/04
  • 7 year payment history - 90+ days late = 25 times (showing consecutive monthly lates from 10/02 - 10/04)
  • balance = 0
  • past due = 0
  • current status = OK/was collection
  • Anyone have an idea of how I can get the lates removed from my EX report?  This is the one thing that is KILLING my EX score.  There is a perfect payment history on this report otherwise.  Any advice is appreciated.

Message 1 of 19
    18 REPLIES 18
    Tuscani
    Moderator Emeritus

Re: Student Loan reporting lates on CR

You are stuck with them if they are valid. The Higher Education Act requires that all student loans report for the full seven years.
    Message 2 of 19
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Thanks.  So they only report that way on EX - why would it report differently on EQ and TU?  I am thankful that it's only showing the late history on EX and not all three - just trying to see if there is something that can be done to get the lates off of EX.
    Message 3 of 19
    Tuscani
    Moderator Emeritus

These are Sallie Mae right? Have you read my Sallie Mae thread?
    Message 4 of 19
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Thanks Tuscani.  No it's not Sallie Mae, it's CA Student Aid Commission. 
    Message 5 of 19
    Tuscani
    Moderator Emeritus

Ah ok... well nonetheless, you can try GW. But don't hold your breath. It took me a couple years to get mine removed (and it was reporting in error).
    Message 6 of 19
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Thanks Tuscani.  I think I might try GW - all my loans are paid in full and I have had a perfect payment history since about 2000 - no other lates at all.  Something's gotta give!
    Message 7 of 19
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Message 8 of 19
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

It is true that while the goverment is gauranting these loans they have to report accuate.
    These are now paid and uncle sam has nothing to do with them.

I fully feel that lates over 2 years old have little effect unless the rest of your credit is perfect to just leave them alone.  You can try a GW letter.

focused07 wrote:
    I have a student loan that was paid after collection.  It shows as Closed/Paid as Agreed on EQ and TU, but on EX it shows as having twenty-five (25) 90-day lates:

EX report reads:
  • date opened 1/01
  • date of last payment 11/04
  • 7 year payment history - 90+ days late = 25 times (showing consecutive monthly lates from 10/02 - 10/04)
  • balance = 0
  • past due = 0
  • current status = OK/was collection
    • Anyone have an idea of how I can get the lates removed from my EX report?  This is the one thing that is KILLING my EX score.  There is a perfect payment history on this report otherwise.  Any advice is appreciated.

Message 9 of 19
      Anonymous
      Not applicable

At least only one score is low - most lenders take the middle of three, and if the other two are higher, you won't get penalized too much for one low score, since the middle is what they go off of.

For example:

TU 677
      EX 546
      EF 659

They'd use the 659.
      Message 10 of 19
      Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.