Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise Medical Billing Collection seeking VA Mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprise Medical Billing Collection seeking VA Mortgage

I'm a 100 percent disabled veteran seeking a VA Mortgage though Navy Federal . My wife just received a surprise medical billing collection on all 3 credit reports. We both know that the ER service was paid in full by ChampVA Health insurance by the us government. I found out that despite ER medical services being paid in full by my insurance the doctors are billing separately two times with the collection being reported two times on her report. This billing is over year old and very questionable  aka, surprise billing.  My wife's score dropped 60 points to 657 on Experian, 674 on Equifax and 676 on Transunion. My wife has no missed payments or previous collections in the past. my scores are Experian 745, Eauifax 750, TransUnion, 745 . No collections, no past due payments ever.  our debt ratio is 21 %

The Navy Federal Mortgage loan officer said we still qualify for a VA Mortgage even with my wife's score drop, but conventional might require an addition down payment. Loan officer said VA would be the better deal for us anyway. Also said Navy Federal would like the medical collection paid  before applying. In addition stating that my wife should dispute the collections with verification and request removal with all 3 Credit Reporting Agencies .  The loan officer  brought to  my attention  the new state law (New Mexico Surprise Billing Act SB337 Effective Jan 01-2020 ) from section 14 of the Act below.. ( see last paragraph) Unlawful to use a collection agency  to collect on surprise billing  effective 01-01 2020 .

The collection was entered on the all 3 of her credit reports January 1, 2020 , the same day the Law took effect. The way the law is written it is unlawful to submit surprise medical billing to a collection  01-01-20; it is to the point there is no ambiguity.

My question is will the Credit Reporting Agencies remove this entry being that the collection agency is in violation of NM State Law . I.e collection(s) was entered on Jan 01-01 2020 ? I did send the request for verification , copies of the insurance paid in full invoices by ChampVA for the ER services as well as citing the law in section 14 , where to download a signed copy of the law by the Governor and the State agency phone number and web site where it is enforced.

Taken from the New Mexico Surprise Billing Act Office of OSI ( Office of Superintendent of Insurance NM )

SECTION 14.

"HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS--SURPRISE BILLING PROHIBITED.-

A. A provider shall not knowingly submit to a

covered person a surprise bill for health care services,

which surprise bill demands payment for any amount in excess

of the cost-sharing amounts that would have been imposed by

the covered person's health benefits plan if the health care

service from which the surprise bill arises had been rendered

B. It shall be an unfair practice for a health

care provider to knowingly submit a surprise bill to a

collection agency.

Unfair practices are actionable under New Mexico law and subject to treble damages.

The law is 24 pages long, I have read the entire act . It is by far the most powerful law like it in the United States, and I have read many.  In short surprise billing is over in New Mexico . Patients can sue collection agencies, their clients as well as the hospitals and MD's. Damages are three times the amount allowed by law. It has teeth .

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Surprise Medical Billing Collection seeking VA Mortgage

I'm a little confused.....

What happened when you sent proof of account payment?  Did the collection account not get removed?

I know it can take up to 45 days to be updated in the credit report but if it's not valid it certainly won't stick and will quickly be removed which would result in credit score increasing.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should be more clear  in what I was asking.  Is  all that information I sent sufficient to get the Collection removed ?  And would the CRA  Remove it according to the new state law, despite coming back verified? In my case there is also the additional matter of federal law as well as state laws. ChampVa requires providers to accept allowable payment in full, (no balance billling allowed.)  I'm also wondering will the CRA remove it on state laws alone?

I just sent the formal complaint to the Credit Reporting Agencies , Equifax, Transunion and Experain last week disputing the entire matter. I read the CRA have 30 days and 5 to send me notification.
I will have to wait for the response from the CRA's and hope I gave enough information. If this drags out longer than 30 days I will just pay them off and file my complaint(s) in civil court for damages; as well as collect my money back. Still worth it though.

Message 3 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP, I wouldn't care 2cents about any law. All I would care about is the BILL WAS PAID by my insurance carrier and I would file a dispute based on that. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope you get this resolved.  Thanks for sharing that NM law!  That will help people that had no idea.

Message 5 of 6
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Hi Jcsrnm,

The good news is, VA isn't going to require that you pay the medical collection off in order to qualify. This is a NFCU requirement so why not look at other options?

Do you need to have your wife on the loan to qualify? If not you could worry about the collection account later. Actually, another work around here is this. Since New Mexico is a community property state, VA requires us to pull your wife's credit & count her debts against your income even if she is not going to be on the loan. Now most people would say that you have to add your wife to the loan so you can add her income as well. Unfortunately that would also mean using her credit & scores. What if I told you that we could actually use her income in qualifying without putting her on the loan & using her scores?

I'm pretty sure you'll need to send a written dispute (certified letter) with all of your documentation directly to the collection agency. From what I understand, when you dispute an account with the bureaus directly, they will contact the creditor & verify the account. They don't actually require/force the creditor to verify the info being reported. They just contact the creditor & ask if the info is accurate & the creditor says yes.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.