Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking out an auto loan after closing on a home

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Taking out an auto loan after closing on a home

Hello,
I've signed my closing papers for my house refinance on Monday. The loan funds on the 30th due to Christmas. My question is if there is any possibility losing the mortgage if I take out an auto loan on Saturday the 28th? Will they run your credit again after signing papers? The hard pull wouldn't be until Saturday. This is not a large loan. Before the refinance we were pre approved for 60 thousand, and we would be financing 14 thousand.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Taking out an auto loan after closing on a home

Happy Holidays and welcome to myFICO

I think you have to ask yourself a question. Is it worth the risk? And IMO, if I were in your shoes--no siree! I would not apply for any new lines of credit, which could jeopardize the refinancing. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 5
EW800
Valued Contributor

I am not expert in the area, however I fully agree with CreditInspired - just not worth the risk.  If I am not mistaken, mortgage lenders typically do a credit pull just prior to funding.  I don't think you want to show inquiries, indicating that you are auto shopping at the same time.  Even if it is not much of an issue, I could see where it could delay funding while they ask you about it.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 3 of 5
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Don't do it unless you're lender is aware of the proposed new monthly payment amount and that information was included in your Final Loan application that you signed Monday.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely agree it isn’t worth the risk, although I believe after you sign at closing the borrower is the only one with the right to rescind for 3 days, I can’t imagine they would unwind a deal after the loan has been closed and all underwriting signed off on. They would be in breach of contract.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.