Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Payment Plan / Applying For Mortgage Questions

tag
Hooosier
Contributor

Tax Payment Plan / Applying For Mortgage Questions

I have a question for the board.  My wife and I will be applying for a mortgage next Spring (2015) and I was wondering how entering in to an income tax payment plan with the IRS may impact being approved for a mortgage.  We are self-employed so our actual payments due at the time of our income tax filings are quite high.  If we owe say $20K and then enter in to a payment plan would this impact our credit and hurt our chances of being approved or lowering the total amount we are approved for?  The reason we are considering this is it seems like we may be better off to use a larger sum of money for a higher down payment while spreading our income taxes over the next five years.  Would this be foolish on our part or does it make some financial sense?  Any input is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: Tax Payment Plan / Applying For Mortgage Questions

The biggest question is whether or not the IRS will file a tax lien or report your payment arrangement to the CRAs. I am in the process of obtaining my first mortgage and I started a payment arrangement in October 2013 to avoid a tax lien.....I told my broker about the payment plan so he could add my payment to my DTI ratio and he said he wouldn't mention the agreement to U/W unless they get information from the IRS when they do their check. From my understanding, the only tax debts that are reported during the "check" are defaulted agreements or delinquent tax debts. I will find out soon if my arrangement falls under either of these categories. 

I am sure others will chime in, but this is my experience so far. I also had two other tax liens before I started applying....had to pay them, then have them withdrawn from my CR. 

Best of luck!!! 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 4
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

The payment will be used against your dti and you will have less mortgage available to you as a result - 

If the plan is to buy as much house as you can and pay it off over 30 years you would get more mortgage if it was not included so you would want to pay it of

Simple math - 20K payment over 5 years is what 300-400 a month?

that same 300-400 will get you 50-70k in mortgage - 

Plus paying it off will likely help your credit - 

Good Luck 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 4
ecalmese
Regular Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

The biggest question is whether or not the IRS will file a tax lien or report your payment arrangement to the CRAs. I am in the process of obtaining my first mortgage and I started a payment arrangement in October 2013 to avoid a tax lien.....I told my broker about the payment plan so he could add my payment to my DTI ratio and he said he wouldn't mention the agreement to U/W unless they get information from the IRS when they do their check. From my understanding, the only tax debts that are reported during the "check" are defaulted agreements or delinquent tax debts. I will find out soon if my arrangement falls under either of these categories. 

I am sure others will chime in, but this is my experience so far. I also had two other tax liens before I started applying....had to pay them, then have them withdrawn from my CR. 

Best of luck!!! 

did the IRS ever report to the underwriters about your tax balance?

Started January 2013 in the lower 500s
Scores (as of January 2014) Equifax 630 | Experian 646 | Transunion 674
With the help of you all; I am working my way to the 700 club!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.