cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax subordination FHA surprise issue? Don't know what to do!

tag
Reazon
New Contributor

Tax subordination FHA surprise issue? Don't know what to do!

Hello,

I'm about to close June 30, I was given a closing disclosure with cash to close at $17k.

New build started in Feb.  Finished next week. 

I've done everything the underwriters have asked.  

We are doing FHA with 3.5%down because of my past tax issues. 

I do have 4 state tax liens for a total of $7k, which the state approved to subordinate the liens do I can go thru with the purchase. 

I've had to do alot of work to get here, alot of credit goes to this forum,  thank you. 

However after the underwriter said the subordination is good and we are ready to close, but, they called me yesterday saying the tax liens have to go against the LTV which requires me to pay an additional $4.5k at closing or pay off tax liens. 

Does this sound right? 

After I was given a closing disclosbuy,

Is the closing disclosure a set document? Or can it be changed right before closing?

I'm frustrated.  

Sorry I'm a first time buyer, single dad,  so getting that extra 5k by next week is almost impossible. 

I don't know what to do. 

Any suggestions or experience with this would help. 

Greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

CSP 726/5K
AMEX DELTA GOLD 0/2K
Lowe's 0/17K
CAPONE QS 0/$750
DISCOVER IT SECURED 0/$300
RC WILLEY 0/$300
EX FICO 8= 711
EQ FICO 8= 735
TU FICO 8= 727
AS OF 05/12/2019
8 REPLIES 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Tax subordination FHA surprise issue? Don't know what to do!

Underwriter is mistaken, the tax liens don't go against the LTV calculation, only the FHA mortgage goes against the LTV calculation.  We've done numerous loans for people who have judgments, federal and/or state tax liens and it's never been an issue.  There are two requirements, the FHA loan cannot be more than 96.5% LTV (based on the lower of the purchase price or appraised value) (other than the $100 down payment program) and you must make a minimum contribution of at least 3.5% (the down payment).  There are additional guidelines when there is secondary financing, but a judgement or tax lien isn't considered secondary financing.  I believe that is where your underwriter is confusing things, they are trying to say the tax liens are secondary financing.  To get to the bottom of this, tell your LO to tell the underwriter to call HUD and ask.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 9
Reazon
New Contributor

I appreciate your response. 

I spoke with my LO today,  he said they are inexperienced with this and will talk to the underwriters tomorrow. 

I'm hoping they see it that way so I can close this week. 

I'll keep an update. 

Thank you

CSP 726/5K
AMEX DELTA GOLD 0/2K
Lowe's 0/17K
CAPONE QS 0/$750
RC WILLEY 0/$300
EX FICO 8= 711
EQ FICO 8= 735
TU FICO 8= 727
AS OF 05/12/2019
Message 3 of 9
Fortunate2017
Established Member

I hope everything works out for your Reazon.

CapOne Venture 3.3K; CapOne Venture 2.2K; Apple Card 1K; Barclay 1.2K; Hughes FCU 1.5K; Randolph Brooks FCU 1.5K; NFCU Platinum Visa 1K; NFCU Flagship 6K; DCU Platinum Visa 10k; PenFed CU Power Cash Visa 15K; Tower FCU 5K; NIHFCU 11.5K; Macys 500; Citi Shell 800; Care credit 6K; Amex Plat; First Tech Choice 35K; First Tech PLOC 1K; Dover FCU 20K; PSECU PLOC 20K; US Bank Cash plus ;,PayPal 2.8K
Message 4 of 9
Reazon
New Contributor

Thank you fortunate2017.

The underwriters came back and said they were mistaken,  the tax liens will not go against the LTV, no extra deposit required! 

We are set to close this Thursday the 30th.

Thank you Shane for your input. 

CSP 726/5K
AMEX DELTA GOLD 0/2K
Lowe's 0/17K
CAPONE QS 0/$750
RC WILLEY 0/$300
EX FICO 8= 711
EQ FICO 8= 735
TU FICO 8= 727
AS OF 05/12/2019
Message 5 of 9
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

@Reazon wrote:

Thank you fortunate2017.

The underwriters came back and said they were mistaken,  the tax liens will not go against the LTV, no extra deposit required! 

We are set to close this Thursday the 30th.

Thank you Shane for your input. 

No telling what would've happened if they didn't catch that "mistake".  They probably would've told you they can't reimburse you that $4.5k and it has to be applied to your balance...smh

Message 6 of 9
Reazon
New Contributor

WE CLOSED 6/30!!

LOCKED RATE @ 3.75%.

SO HAPPY,  I WOULDN'T BE HERE WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE THAT EVERYBODY SHARES HERE! 

GREATLY APPRECIATED! 

THANK YOU!!

CSP 726/5K
AMEX DELTA GOLD 0/2K
Lowe's 0/17K
CAPONE QS 0/$750
RC WILLEY 0/$300
EX FICO 8= 711
EQ FICO 8= 735
TU FICO 8= 727
AS OF 05/12/2019
Message 7 of 9
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Reazon wrote:

WE CLOSED 6/30!!

LOCKED RATE @ 3.75%.

GREATLY APPRECIATED! 

THANK YOU!!

Congratulations!! 🎉

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 8 of 9
IamWesty12
Frequent Contributor

@Reazon wrote:

WE CLOSED 6/30!!

LOCKED RATE @ 3.75%.

GREATLY APPRECIATED! 

THANK YOU!!

@Reazon omg so happy for you and your family!!!  I too am a single parent, a Mom so I can just imagine how excited you were this day.  

How has being a home owner the past few months been????  Gosh, I am trying to hard to stay focused and wait for this crazy market to slow down and come back to reality!!  I am not giving up and reading your posts gives me hope!!!  Congrats again!

Starting Score: 461
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 775

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.