Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official NACA mortgage thread

tag
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: The Official NACA mortgage thread

You sound very organized and ready.  Just be patient, the NACA counselors are overworked and they do (properly, IMHO) give a priority to HomeSave situations.  Go to a workshop, take everything to your first meeting and go from there.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3961 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as it is not a request for a construction loan (which NACA does not do at all), the Mortgage Loan Originator will take the bank application when there is a Purchase and Sale contract with a designated property address (an actual street address, not a property number).  The initial appraisal will be based on a floor plan and specifications provided by the builder.  The final appraisal (1004D) will be ordered once the property is complete.  The loan will close when the property is one hundred percent complete, is approved for occupancy (Certificate of Occupancy required) and passes all required inspections.

Edited to remove personal info. Posting of personal info isn't allowed within these forums. - llecs, myFICO moderator

Message 3962 of 4,793
chasmith
Valued Contributor

@bbb925 wrote:

I looked at model homes to see prices and different areas with tax rates. We found out that they will be releasing a new phase come March, which is too soon for us due to we won't even attend our first workshop until March 2nd, but the house wouldn't be done until August or September. They also mentioned a July phase as well which would be a December or Januray completion. I know I can't do anything until I have a qualification letter in hand but just want to be prepared for what to expect.

$5000 earnest money is expected at time of lot pick out and home plan to start building. I would totally put that down today if I knew NACA would let me and we would be qualified by the completion date but I take it that is not ok to do.

Once we are NACA qualified, are we allowed to put that money towards the start of building our home instead of keeping it in the reserve fund they want you to have? Will that money be returned to us or applied toward our closing cost or to buy-down the interest rate? That is the part that has me confused.

So once Naca approval letter is in hand, you are telling me that if we just continue to send in pay-stubs and bank statements that will suffice so that in 6 months from qualification and our home is done being built we can close and not have to reapply because everything was kept up to date?

You also stated "The inspection process is a bit different as well because they are much more used to buyers getting the inspection at contract time", what do you mean by that? Is it a hassle due to closing happening months later? Or inspections are crazier with new homes?

I apologize for being a question freak in advance, I just really appreciate your responses and trust your advice as you have been through the process. Everyone I speak with has only bought used homes or foreclosures, so they can't help me with any answers. I want to prevent using HAND if possible. I heard horror stories about that...lol

Thanks again for your help. It's a breath of fresh air to get answers from someone who has completed the program with a new construction purchase.

You shouldn't be putting earnest money down before you are NACA Qualified.  I paid my earnest money (was $10,000) with the contract, paid from the savings account where I was keeping the funds needed to close / payment shock money.  The earnest money continued to count toward my available funds and came back to me at closing, as I said I used it to buy down the rate.

There really are no closing costs.,  I wondered because as my bank application was processed I kept geeting GFEs showing costs, but at closing all except the prepaid taxes and insurance, and the inspection fees, were marked "lender paid".  There is also no PMI, I pay $50.00 monthly to tne Neighborhood Stabilization Fund and will for 10 years, that compares to over $250.00 monthly I would have had to pay for FHA.

HAND reviews all inspection reports.  For my new construction I used a NACA approved inspector who sent his report electronically to HAND.  There was a list of items and a reinspection required, but turnaround was rapid and everything was very professional.  You won't be involved in having HAND manage your construction the way they would a rehab.

You will work with your counselor to maintain qualification during construction.  For me it meant providing the monthly statements I had been providing during qualification when asked and wasn't a big deal.  But in fact, as I see Tim Trimble replied, once you're under contract and start the bank application phase,things move in parallel.  Your final appraisal and inspection are done as soon as the home is complete and the Certificate of Occupancy has been issued. 

If you are organized, patient, and do exactly as your counselor asks you will do well.  NACA is understaffed and overworked, and there is a priority helping folks threatened with foreclosure (the HomeSave program) but for me it was absolutely worth the effort.  Go to your workshop March 2 and work with your counselor and everything willwork out for you.

Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Message 3963 of 4,793
bbb925
Regular Contributor

@chasmith wrote:

@bbb925 wrote:

I looked at model homes to see prices and different areas with tax rates. We found out that they will be releasing a new phase come March, which is too soon for us due to we won't even attend our first workshop until March 2nd, but the house wouldn't be done until August or September. They also mentioned a July phase as well which would be a December or Januray completion. I know I can't do anything until I have a qualification letter in hand but just want to be prepared for what to expect.

$5000 earnest money is expected at time of lot pick out and home plan to start building. I would totally put that down today if I knew NACA would let me and we would be qualified by the completion date but I take it that is not ok to do.

Once we are NACA qualified, are we allowed to put that money towards the start of building our home instead of keeping it in the reserve fund they want you to have? Will that money be returned to us or applied toward our closing cost or to buy-down the interest rate? That is the part that has me confused.

So once Naca approval letter is in hand, you are telling me that if we just continue to send in pay-stubs and bank statements that will suffice so that in 6 months from qualification and our home is done being built we can close and not have to reapply because everything was kept up to date?

You also stated "The inspection process is a bit different as well because they are much more used to buyers getting the inspection at contract time", what do you mean by that? Is it a hassle due to closing happening months later? Or inspections are crazier with new homes?

I apologize for being a question freak in advance, I just really appreciate your responses and trust your advice as you have been through the process. Everyone I speak with has only bought used homes or foreclosures, so they can't help me with any answers. I want to prevent using HAND if possible. I heard horror stories about that...lol

Thanks again for your help. It's a breath of fresh air to get answers from someone who has completed the program with a new construction purchase.

You shouldn't be putting earnest money down before you are NACA Qualified.  I paid my earnest money (was $10,000) with the contract, paid from the savings account where I was keeping the funds needed to close / payment shock money.  The earnest money continued to count toward my available funds and came back to me at closing, as I said I used it to buy down the rate.

There really are no closing costs.,  I wondered because as my bank application was processed I kept geeting GFEs showing costs, but at closing all except the prepaid taxes and insurance, and the inspection fees, were marked "lender paid".  There is also no PMI, I pay $50.00 monthly to tne Neighborhood Stabilization Fund and will for 10 years, that compares to over $250.00 monthly I would have had to pay for FHA.

HAND reviews all inspection reports.  For my new construction I used a NACA approved inspector who sent his report electronically to HAND.  There was a list of items and a reinspection required, but turnaround was rapid and everything was very professional.  You won't be involved in having HAND manage your construction the way they would a rehab.

You will work with your counselor to maintain qualification during construction.  For me it meant providing the monthly statements I had been providing during qualification when asked and wasn't a big deal.  But in fact, as I see Tim Trimble replied, once you're under contract and start the bank application phase,things move in parallel.  Your final appraisal and inspection are done as soon as the home is complete and the Certificate of Occupancy has been issued. 

If you are organized, patient, and do exactly as your counselor asks you will do well.  NACA is understaffed and overworked, and there is a priority helping folks threatened with foreclosure (the HomeSave program) but for me it was absolutely worth the effort.  Go to your workshop March 2 and work with your counselor and everything willwork out for you.

Wow! Thank you so much for all that info! That answered all my questions! We talked to a lender yesterday and for a home that costs $320k it would cost us $19,700 out of pocket , 3.5% interest rate, PMI of $320/mth, HOI of $77 and HOA of $90 with taxes of $640/mth and was a payment over $2500/mth. I definitely will be patient and stick it out. I'm grateful there is even a program like NACA. So many people act as if they are entitled I have noticed on the NACA forum and I'm taken back by that, considering most of these people wouldn't even be considered eligible to buy a home with their current situations with any bank in the first place. Thank you again for writing such a detailed post. It certainly helps me and any future reader.

Message 3964 of 4,793
nodnol214
Valued Member

Does NACA (or something similar) offer help for people in Iowa?

7/12 starting score 498
2/13 score 603 = Fingerhut $800
5/13 score 627 = Walmart $600
9/13 Ex 630, Eq 608, Trans 650, Fingerhut $1100, Walmart $600, Merrick Bank $700, Cap One Sec $225
Message 3965 of 4,793
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

NACA is pretty much everywhere...

Go to their website and search in Iowa for a office. Then call their local office to get the information you need.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3966 of 4,793
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I'm new to the forum and i've just completed a NACA workshop. I just have a question about the NACA loans. Will NACA give me a loan for more than the value of the home i'm trying to purchase?  Example: Home being purchased is 150k, but i'd like to get a loan for 200k. I really would appreciate any answers anyone can give.

Message 3967 of 4,793
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

If it is needed for repairs it will be factored in.

Naca is not a bank and does not loan money personally.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3968 of 4,793
chasmith
Valued Contributor

+1

NACA will loan for purchase and documented repairs up to appraisal value or your qualification, whichever is less.  They are focused on long term success for owner-occupants.

Message 3969 of 4,793
DogBog

Philadelphia Office

Has anyone had a great experience with the Philadelphia office?  If so, could you recoment a counselor?

Also, If I put aside 10% of my paycheck for an Employee Stock Purchase Program (different than the 6% i set aside for my 401k) at work, would this be considred savings available for shock savings? I could very easily redirect that 10% from stocks to a savings account if it is not already considered savings.

Message 3970 of 4,793
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.