Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Work Number

tag
Mgilbert8605
Regular Contributor

The Work Number

Hi, All. I know that we have some mortgage experts in here. I'm hoping that they can help me out....2 months ago, I switched from being a full time employee at my job (that I've been at for a decade) to a per diem position. I did this for a few reasons, but don't plan on leaving the job. I'm still working full time hours. I recently decided to start the house hunt again, to beat these rapidly increasing interest rates. My employer uses The Work Number for employment verification. Will it show my status change, or just that I'm still working full time hours? I don't want to miss the opportunity to get a mortgage loan, due to this. I've already gotten preapproved by applying online, but I know that the research into my file goes a little deeper, once I'm under contract. 

9 REPLIES 9
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

Re: The Work Number

@Mgilbert8605 wrote:

Hi, All. I know that we have some mortgage experts in here. I'm hoping that they can help me out....2 months ago, I switched from being a full time employee at my job (that I've been at for a decade) to a per diem position. I did this for a few reasons, but don't plan on leaving the job. I'm still working full time hours. I recently decided to start the house hunt again, to beat these rapidly increasing interest rates. My employer uses The Work Number for employment verification. Will it show my status change, or just that I'm still working full time hours? I don't want to miss the opportunity to get a mortgage loan, due to this. I've already gotten preapproved by applying online, but I know that the research into my file goes a little deeper, once I'm under contract. 

Hello! I used to work for an employer who uses The Work Number.  I was always curious about what info the site contained about me.  Fortunately, you should be able to request your own report.  You should obtain your company's employer code, and if memory serves, choose reason : "I want to view my information".   My report contained my job title, salary, how many reported payroll hours by week, etc., for several different past employers.  I didn't even know that some of the previous employers used/reported to TWN! 

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about "disputing" inaccurate info....if that's even possible.

I hope this helps!

Message 2 of 10
Mgilbert8605
Regular Contributor

I appreciate your reply! I did request my report. It reported the same things that yours did. I'm just unsure if lending companies are able to see a more in depth report, that would show whether I'm a full time employee or not (instead of just how many hours I work every week). 

Message 3 of 10
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

@Mgilbert8605 wrote:

I appreciate your reply! I did request my report. It reported the same things that yours did. I'm just unsure if lending companies are able to see a more in depth report, that would show whether I'm a full time employee or not (instead of just how many hours I work every week). 

You're welcome and I totally understand!

I'm not sure why lenders would get a different TWN report than what we see, but they probably have so many information resources available to them (outside of TWN), we may never know.  I hope someone can chime in with better info.  Good luck! 

Message 4 of 10
JVille
Valued Contributor

They will use that info and carefully look at your prior years W2's AND carefully examine every entry on your paystub. 
How do your current pay stubs differ from before?

Message 5 of 10
Mgilbert8605
Regular Contributor

My paystubs are unchanged. It still shows me working the same amount of hours that I've worked for the last 10 years. The only place (that I'm aware of) where it shows my employment status is in the HR portal. 

Message 6 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Mgilbert8605 wrote:

My paystubs are unchanged. It still shows me working the same amount of hours that I've worked for the last 10 years. The only place (that I'm aware of) where it shows my employment status is in the HR portal. 

Your withholdings i.e. taxes didn't change on your pay stubs? 

Message 7 of 10
Mgilbert8605
Regular Contributor

My withholding didn't change. It's supposed to, even though I'm working the same amount of hours at the same hourly rate as when I was full time?

Message 8 of 10
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@Mgilbert8605 wrote:

My withholding didn't change. It's supposed to, even though I'm working the same amount of hours at the same hourly rate as when I was full time?

My understanding is that per diem employees can be regular employees or contractors. If you had been reclassified as a contractor, I believe your taxes/witholding would have changed as taxes and the like become the responsibility of a contractor.

Message 9 of 10
Mgilbert8605
Regular Contributor

Oh I see what you're saying. I'm still a regular employee. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.