cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The meaning of buying points when referring to mortgage loan??

tag
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

The meaning of buying points when referring to mortgage loan??

Im just trying to get a better understanding of what it means to buy points when doing a loan, can someone explain what that means. Also what are the pros & cons of doing it

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: The meaning of buying points when referring to mortgage loan??

A borrower can reduce the mortgage rate by paying for it. Let's say that a 30yr FHA loan at 4% will generate enough fees for the originator to cover his/her fees, then you can ask the originator to allow you to pay some of their fees with your cash in return for giving you a lower rate. That is called "buying down the rate".

Message 2 of 4
neptunejcw
Regular Contributor

Aw ok, so this pretty much a good thing for the buyer...What's the average cost to buy down the rate or does it just depends on the fees
Message 3 of 4
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

Well it depends on the situation.  I just posted last week about how I decided to NOT buy down my rate.  Every persons situation is different.    You have to look at how long it will take to break even on what you paid to buy down the rate.  I will give you my example and why in MY case it did not make sense to buy down the rate.

I had a choice of 3.75 and get 1800 dollars back or 3.65 and pay 800 dollars.  The difference in my monthly payment would be $15.  so when I calculated it would take over 3 years to break even on what I paid to start seeing the benefit of my 800 if I bought down my rate.  on the other side it would take 10 years before i broke even on the amount I was paid.

Now in my case I am planning a refinance in 3 years (to a conventional loan to drop the mi on my loan (assuming it makes sense to IE payments would be lower)) so in my particular case it did NOT make sense to buy down my rate.

Other situations it would.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.