cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for a first time home buyer. Please help!

tag
jq13

Tips for a first time home buyer. Please help!

Sorry if this is long, I'm just looking for some opinions on my current situation.

Currently I am considering buying a home but I need help figuring out what I can afford and how much I should save before I even begin applying for mortgages. Here is a bit of background:

I am in the process of securing as much money for my down payment, closing cost and for my emergency savings fund. However I don't want to wait several years either. My current rent is very low at just $525 and I would like to stay there awhile longer to ensure the best savings for myself. I make $60,000 a year plus a bonus (anywhere from 6k-30k) and I have been with my current employer for 8 months. In addition I have a Debt to Income ratio of about 13% and FICO credit scores ranging from 712 - 655. I have recently gotten some inquires removed and 2 minor medical bill collections removed so my scores should be improving. (fingers crossed) Here's some more info about my debt:

Debt:

Car loan: 26K 0%APR - $430/month

Sallie Mae - $150 (remaining balance is 4k)

CC: I have 4 credit cards, but only 2 with balances. Discover: 800 - (1000 limit) & Capital One $182 - (1000 limit) I do plan on paying these off within the year

Ideally I am looking in the Delaware County area of PA and would like to spend $150k - $200k as I feel that will get my "forever home". My hubby will be assisting with bills and savings, however I want to base our budget on one income, as his credit is in terrible shape. Any help would be great or if you can recommend some next steps for me.

Thanks so much!

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ: 629 EX:622 TU: 613
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Tips for a first time home buyer. Please help!

Your income & debt payment figures should qualify you for up to a $200k sales price with either 3.5% down on FHA financing or 5% down for conventional financing.  Payment would probably be around $1,500/mo though - can you afford that?  If you aren't sure, then I'd recommend you take a "test drive" and start putting away an extra $1k/mo and see how your finances are impacted.  Good call on only basing it on one income.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
jq13

Re: Tips for a first time home buyer. Please help!

Thanks for the tip Shane!

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ: 629 EX:622 TU: 613
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.