Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA Credit Qualification Question

tag
apriestl
Established Member

USDA Credit Qualification Question

I printed the booklet of underwriting guidelines for the USDA loan program.  My credit score is improving and middle score is approx. 630.  I planned on trying to get a loan next spring.  My score should climb a bit more by then.  I had a couple questions about the guidelines:

1.  I have a judgment on my report.  I have a payment plan in place and it happened a couple years ago.  Will this disqualify me?  It states no outstanding judgments in the last 12 months.  Does that mean any new judgments in that period or any that you haven't finished paying period?

2. My spouse has worse credit and he has more than one judgment he is paying on.  We live in a community property state.  Even though he won't be a co-borrower, will his unpaid judgments effect my ability to get a USDA loan.  I know they do for FHA.

3.  Even though the guidelines state that USDA loans can be approved with scores 580 and up, does any lender actually do this??  Do individual lenders set their requirements for scores needed despite the USDA minimum guidelines?

EQ 544 6/20/13, TU 588 6/20/13, EX?
EQ 619 9/24/13, TU 635 9/24/13 EX?
Goal: 700 across
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
J_G
Regular Contributor

Re: USDA Credit Qualification Question

I do believe if you are still paying on the judgment it will be very hard to get approved. Also i don't believe your true Fico scores are above 600 with that recent judgment. You might be looking at fake advantage scores. You need to go into your bank or a mortgage company and apply and see what your scores are. My Transunion score from Myfico.com 680 and from transunion.com 678 but when lender pulled the day it was actually 613. You can't trust these websites you have to apply. Good luck

7/1/13 - EQ = 593 TU = 578 EXP = 573 FICO
8/11/13 - EQ = 600 TU = 590 EXP = 603 FICO
10/1/13 - EQ = 611 TU = 689 EXP = 605 FICO
12/4/13 - EQ = 625 TU = 648 EXP = 604
Lender Pull 2/18/14 - EQ = 630 TU = 678 EXP = 594
Lender Pull 2/28/14 (EQ 640) (TU 660) (EX 655) Rapid re-score =)
9/30/14 - EQ = 660 TU = 710 EXP = 669
Message 2 of 7
cookiebird
Frequent Contributor

Your EQ score if pulled from here should match exactly what a lender would pull. The EX and TU scores, while they are true fico scores, are not the same scoring model lenders use so your score will be different. Whether higher or lower will depend on a lot of things. I have read of people seeing both. 

I am in the middle of a USDA loan now and I have a judgment on my CR. Mine is paid and has been for many years however they never updated it to paid. It wasn't until I was working on my credit to purchase a house that I realized this needed updated. IF you look at my CR it looks like I just paid it off in June when it was really paid off in 2007.  Anyway, I had to write an LOE for it but that was it. My mid score is a 680.

As far as what USDA will take vs a lender.  The lenders have their own criteria which is stricter than USDA.  I have heard that some lenders will do a 620 but most require a 640. 

last app 11/13/2013 gardening for at least a year
Message 3 of 7
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

@J_G wrote:

I do believe if you are still paying on the judgment it will be very hard to get approved. Also i don't believe your true Fico scores are above 600 with that recent judgment. You might be looking at fake advantage scores. You need to go into your bank or a mortgage company and apply and see what your scores are. My Transunion score from Myfico.com 680 and from transunion.com 678 but when lender pulled the day it was actually 613. You can't trust these websites you have to apply. Good luck

I don't think that's a fair assumption to make.  If he says his FICO scores are around 630 (assuming he got them from here) then they really are around 630.  Granted the TU and EX might not reflect the same as what lenders will have, the EQ will certainly match most of the time. 

That aside, I think judgments are hit and miss.  I've read a couple stories on this site where people were able to a) get a USDA loan while being on a judgment payment plan and b) get a USDA loan when it was satisifed less than 12 months earlier, or c) pay the judgment at closing.  Why these happen for certain, i don't know.  Some people are of the opinion USDA is more forgiving the higher your credit score is (like maybe you're 9 months judgment free instead of 12). It will also depend upon the thoroughness of the Title Co.  If they're looking for judgments, they may only be looking for unsatisfied judgments.  If there's a really old one that doesn't appear on your CR but was just recently satisfied, it may never get to USDA.

So to quote the other million people on this site....YMMV. 

Message 4 of 7
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

@cookiebird wrote:

Your EQ score if pulled from here should match exactly what a lender would pull. The EX and TU scores, while they are true fico scores, are not the same scoring model lenders use so your score will be different. Whether higher or lower will depend on a lot of things. I have read of people seeing both. 

I am in the middle of a USDA loan now and I have a judgment on my CR. Mine is paid and has been for many years however they never updated it to paid. It wasn't until I was working on my credit to purchase a house that I realized this needed updated. IF you look at my CR it looks like I just paid it off in June when it was really paid off in 2007.  Anyway, I had to write an LOE for it but that was it. My mid score is a 680.

As far as what USDA will take vs a lender.  The lenders have their own criteria which is stricter than USDA.  I have heard that some lenders will do a 620 but most require a 640. 

I'm just curious, but how die your LOE satisfy them?  What prevented you from just making some bs story up and you really did pay it off in June?

Message 5 of 7
cookiebird
Frequent Contributor

I have no idea. I wrote the LOE and never heard anything about it. They actually never pointed it out, just asked for LOE's for any thing negative on my report.

last app 11/13/2013 gardening for at least a year
Message 6 of 7
apriestl
Established Member

The judgment I have is several years old. It was just a large balance and due to my finances at the time has taken a while to pay off. I'm almost done, and looking to qualify in about 6 months. If USDA doesn't come through, then FHA might with the revised guidelines for handling judgments and collections.

I thought what they meant by no outstanding judgments in 12 months was no new ones docketed in the time frame not ones you paid off because circumstances could vary quite a bit on that. I thought that interpretation fit better seeing as some other programs only require they be paid in full by closing. Again I just don't know which that's why I was asking. I wanted time to prepare rather than apply for a pre approval and be denied for those reasons.

My scores for TU and EQ are true fico scores. My EX is a FAKO.
EQ 544 6/20/13, TU 588 6/20/13, EX?
EQ 619 9/24/13, TU 635 9/24/13 EX?
Goal: 700 across
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.