Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA DIRECT LOAN, INCOME VS APPROVAL AMT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USDA DIRECT LOAN, INCOME VS APPROVAL AMT

I'll start with a little background info.. I'm 28 SO is 24, we are looking to apply for a USDA direct loan after being turned down by our home bank in December. At the time, my credit score was 577. I have since been paying down balances on my cards, which were at 77% UTI, but are now slowly coming down. S/O will not be on the loan, his credit is not the best because of lates on student loans. I have raised my credit to a 614 since January 3rd (which I know I need at least 640)What I'm really concerned about is my income. I gross 29k/yr and S/O is newly self employed after pipeline work was shut down. He makes around 1,600/month which I know would put us close to the income cap for KY, but I'm worried that since only my income will count for the approval amount, we won't be approved for much. We have been planning on buying his parents house, that they will soon be moving out of, but I'm a little hesitant as the house is not in the best condition. Central heat/air doesn't work, there are 2 busted/cracked leaky windows, 2 doors on the back patio that have fallen and will not close, the main door is not air tight and leaks air/water and there is water damage/mold to the floor in that area. A lot of the tile through the house is busted and the shower has seal issues which has led to water damage in the bathroom as well. We could buy this house for 66k but it would take a LOT of work. But, if I could get money to help with repairs I might be ok with it. Just worried at this point that 66k might be about all we can get. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USDA DIRECT LOAN, INCOME VS APPROVAL AMT

We attempted to just put one of us on the loan and were told that all that would do is create more paperwork and issues as with government loans they look at both partners credit, debt and income regardless whether you are on the loan or not. And if you aren't on the loan you can't be on the title.

As far as I understand they'll ask for all repairs to be made before closing. We are still early on in the process though so just based off what I've heard, not actual experience.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USDA DIRECT LOAN, INCOME VS APPROVAL AMT

Thanks for the response! Did I mention that we are not married? Hopefully that will make the process a little smoother. I actually withdrew my application and just sent it back out Tuesday, it is supposed to be at the office tomorrow. My mid score was 1 point below auto approval (639) back when I applied end of March,  and a lot of things I had paid off weren't reflecting on my credit report yet.  So, here we go again! Best of luck to you with your loan, let us know how it pans out! 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.