Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA Direct GA---timeline and excited!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USDA Direct GA---timeline and excited!

Background is I applied for an FHA loan back in the spring.  I cleared what I could and was still denied because a house I had foreclosed on (covered under bankruptcy) didn't sell and come out of my name until 6 years later!  That sealed the deal for no FHA per the lender because I had not hit the 36 months.  It was recommended that I speak with a local credit union and try that in the meantime and then refinance.  Same story but he DID tell me to look into the direct USDA program that he thought I would qualify......so,  I took the summer off, traveled with my family and put house hunting/mortgage issues on the back burner.   Kids got back into school, we got on our fall "schedule", and I started looking to see what was out there again and looking into what I could find about this loan.  It led me here.....

Fast forward to September 26, 2015:  pre-qual sent in to the local office

10-6-2015: letter stating to call local office because they had a couple of questions.  I did that day.  He told me he had my prequal and that if the information was correct and could be documented then it appeared I did qualify.  I asked specifically abou the foreclosure timeline and he assured me that would not be an issue because my mid score was 663 and they were going to turn a "blind eye" to much because of that.  He told me they were waiting on the new fiscal year funding any day and that when he got that he would go ahead and pull credit scores.  

10-15-2015: Hard pull inquiry notification

10-19-2015: I called to see what was up and he said he was waiting on me to call him and he had a couple of more questions Smiley Happy  He asked about a collection I had and asked me to write a letter.  He also asked about a charge off that was still there from a bankruptcy that was greater than 7 years.  He wasn't concered about that but did ask I write a LOE regarding the collection that I HAD been trying to work with to resolve.  Stated he was sending full app.

10-22-2015: Received full app

10-23-2015: Returned full app along with check for $25.

10-26-2015: I called to make sure he had received.  He said he had and that he would be getting to mine the next day or Wednesday (today, 28th)

10-28-2015: I am a 100% shareholder of an S-corp (self employed essentially).  He requested 2 years business returns and income profit/loss statements from my accountant and the weekly documentation of check copies where my daughter's father pays child support.  That was the hard one since I don't copy the checks each WEEK!!  The bank was fabulous (helps to have friends!) and so was the accountant.  I literally had that back to him within about 3 hours.  He let me know he had gotten those and that I should have my COE by TOMORROW!!!!  I am soooooo excited!  

For me this is kind of huge (like most of us!)......single mom, doesn't make alot, AND self employeed.  I literally feel like I just saw Cinderella's castle for the FIRST TIME!  I will keep you updated.  There are only 2 homes in the area I want to look at right now but one of them could be "it".  That will be the hard part......waiting for something I want to come available in the county where I am.  SLIM pickings here.

Thanks for reading, I will update.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USDA Direct GA---timeline and excited!

Congrats! Very exciting for you. I put in my offer with a USDA Direct Loan yesterday and it was accepted. Inspection on Tuesday!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow that was QUICK.  It took them over a month after I submitted my application to get my COE.  Congrats!  It feels so good to finally own a house! 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

10-29-2015: I received my COE and looked at one house that I had been eyeing......making an offer Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had my home inspection today. I won't have the official report until 6 a.m. but the inspector said I had very little to worry about. He only found a couple of things that would need to be corrected and both are easy fixes. The only concern that I had was that when he went to inspect the sump pump it wasn't there even though it was stated on the disclosures as something that would be inclueded with the sale. Now my agent and I need to contact them about that. 

I also found out that the owners moved in the last 10 days. Most of their things were gone although furniture and some boxes remained. They moved to California (from South Dakota), so I should be able to move in as soon as I close. That is great news for me because I'm living in a hotel (with 3 humans, 3 dogs) at the moment. 

I will be printing my inspection report as soon as I get it and dropping it off at my USDA office first thing in the morning. It's so nice that it's only a few miles away. Appraisals here usually take 30 days, but with some luck, we can close in early Dec. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is awesome for you!  I found a crack in the basement wall of the one that I was making an offer on.  The super sad thing here is that there is NOTHING in my price range that doesn't need TONS of work......so that won't work Smiley Sad  But, I guess the perfect one is waiting in the wings somewhere.  I am just trying to keep my head up!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What area do you live? The market in South Dakota is pretty tight for things and it's almost like this house was just waiting for me. I hope you find yours soon. 

Inspection came back and has been turned over to the local office to make what they call a "punch list" of things that need to be done by the seller before closing or my me immediately after. 

I know what a few of those things will be such as replacing the 10-year old smoke detectors. In the disclosures from the sellers a few statements were made that were found not to be true. For example, we were told the home had a sump pump and a 2-year old water heater. There is no sump pump and the water heater is 7 years old. The sump pump is going to need to be install according to the RD office, but we may be able to settle for a closing credit on the water heater. 

I'll be excited about getting that list tomorrow and being another step closer. Have a mentioned that I'm ready to move out of the hotel?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm set to close on Dec. 22, which is exciting. The inspection found a few things that needed to be repaired before closing. The sellers weren't interested in fixing anything. In fact, some of the items they listed as being included with the sale were not even there. They also claimed the hot water heater was two years old. when in fact it was seven. They almost backed out of the sale, but in the end, they agreed to do some repairs (replacing 20 year old smoke detectors, broken window, breaker box not attached to the wall) and then give a $1000 credit to complete the repairs. I had to provide photos of the completed repairs to the USDA office so they could see it had been done prior to closing. After that, it was waiting to get the appraisal back. It took more than the estimated 30 days. My loan agent said it appraised well and she would call me to discuss what is next. I've been struggling to find a company that will insure the house for the amount I want. The purchase price is $159,900 and most companies say I need to carry at least $300,000 on the structure and another $225,000 on the contents. I really don't want to pay for something that I don't actually have. Either way, I will to decide before Friday and purchase it then. If that happens, we can close as scheduled and be in our new house (and out of the hotel) by Christmas. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.