Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA Direct Rural Loan (502 Direct) for very low or low income

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USDA Direct Rural Loan (502 Direct) for very low or low income

My husband has a $160 collection from Sept 2010 that we have just paid off this week. Since it's 17 months old and is now paid off, will this still inhibit our ability to prequalify? We've paid it off so recently that it hasn't even been reported to CRAs as paid, so should I send some documentation with my prequalification showing that we paid it off? That's the only negative thing on his credit besides for the LACK of credit...but that's a totally different issue.

Message 41 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't read through all the replys, so maybe this was put in there somewhere but credit score does matter, but ONLY if you have any of the things you mentioned on your first post.  The past due payments, unpaid collections/judgements.  It depends on what county/state you apply in.  Here it is 640, and they you can be approved with those things on your report.  If you have under you can't have any of those things.  HTH.

Message 42 of 117
ariannasmommy

I have to disagree with previous posters.  My husband has 6 old charge-offs from 2006 and had one collection.  We sent a full letter of explanation with our application to explain what caused the delinquencies.  He had lost his job and at the time we lived in NJ where cost of living is absolutely absurd.  We didn't go out and buy luxuries, we fed our children and paid our rent with credit cards.  His mid score is 638 and we were approved with no problem.  

The first time buyers course only cost us $30 and I receieved an email telling me the cost is refundable if I submit my HUD1 Settlement (not sure what this is, but I will be calling them to find out).  We live in southwestern Pennsylvania and I had our cert of eligibility within 2 weeks of submitting our full application.  Thus far, it has actually been a pleasant experience for us compared to some of the horror stories I have heard.  We just found the house we want to purchase, but my buyer's agent is not familiar with the direct loan at all (she has worked with the guaranteed loan but not direct - it seems none of the agents here are all that familiar with this loan).  

I am unsure as to what our next steps are, but I have put a call in to the local USDA office as of this morning and am awaiting a call back.  I'm totally clueless about what will come out of our pockets.  I know the first year of homeowner's insurance has to be paid up front and the earnest money is out of pocket - and we will be offering the full asking price to the seller with the agreement that they will pay all closing costs.  So other than the insurance and earnest money - is there anything else that will have to come out of our pockets?  I just want to know what's coming.  

The homeowner's course was very generalized and not geared to the direct loan at all, and obviously this loan is very different from a conventional loan.  I'm having a hard time finding information about what happens AFTER the initial application and approval.  As for the subsidy - do you only receive it if you use the full loan amount?  We are approved for $167k but the home we are interested in is only $119k.  It is in move in condition and needs virtually nothing.  Our rate is set at 3.25% but our subsidized rate is 1.91%.  I'm curious if it will be 1.91% even if we don't use the full loan amount.  

Message 43 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Question please:

I am helping my mother in law to qualify for the 502 direct loan she has a credit score of 645 but she only makes about 9k per year thru her SSI income.

Can she still qualify for a house that is worth about 120K.

Thank you.

Message 44 of 117
BlackBettie

Can anyone tell me about the (502 guaranteed loan) process? I can't get the (502 Direct Loan) but I do qualify for the guaranteed. I have Fico scores of 655, 666 & 677. I filed bankruptcy back in 2010 due to a divorce and loss of a job, I have no collections or late payments. I now make 20+ an hr @ 48 hrs per week. 

The loan says it allows you to buy, remodel or build a home. Is that correct? Who in the world do you talk to about these loans? I don't want to go down to a local bank and go through a credit check before I'm ready. That affects my credit scores! Smiley Frustrated

Message 45 of 117
danw77

While you can't contract on a house using this program until after you have an eligibility letter, nothing is stopping you from looking.

Is this a requirement of the program? If so, can someone point me to where this is specified? I am looking at a house and the seller is willing to enter a contract now... even if it means waiting 9+ months for closing. I have applied for USDA direct, but have not been approved. Will having a contract make me ineligible?

Message 46 of 117
peacentruelo
New Visitor

Macbookguy are you still taking questions?
Message 47 of 117
ariannasmommy

peacentruelo if he isn't I can try to help you. We went thru the process two years ago. It isn't as difficult as it seems.
Message 48 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am trying to go with a USDA Direct loan. I did the application and after a month of waiting, I called and they told me I was approved. They had already sent out the Eligibility Certificate in the mail. I asked what the next step is, and they said to make an offer on a house with a real estate. Now after getting the certificate, there are other papers in there that I have to have filled out at my interview. What exactly happens at the interview? Do I have to show all my paperwork again? Does the certificate mean I've been approved for sure (considering nothing has changed)?

Message 49 of 117
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

I did the interview over the phone since I live 2+ hours from the USDA office in my state. They just asked basic questions to make sure I understood the loan program. The might also ask about how you plan to pay closing costs, and how you'll make sure you can afford the new mortgage payments. It's a very relaxed conversation, nothing to worry about.

The Certificate of Eligibility is similar to a pre-approval from a lending institution. It doesn't mean that your loan will automatically be approved, but it does mean that you meet their minimum (at least) lending standards. They still need to approve the house to make sure it qualifies, and they will check your credit and verify employment again before closing. If nothing changes in terms of income and credit, the house meets the USDA guidelines, and the appraisal and home inspection come back without issue, the chances are very good that the loan will be fully approved.

FYI... the OP hasn't visited the site in almost two years. I never got a response to the question I asked several months ago. I've made it almost all the way through the USDA Direct process, so I'll try to answer from my experience the best I can.

Message 50 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.