Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA Direct loan rejection: Clarifying some inaccurate info posted here

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USDA Direct loan rejection: Clarifying some inaccurate info posted here

I have just been rejected for a USDA direct loan. Shanethemortgageman is a very helpful poster, however he is incorrect (or perhaps policy has recently changed?) about two things per this loan:

1)  the non-occupant co-borrower cannot make all the income. This is explicitely the reason I was rejected.

2)  The two year income history is non-waivable. IE, recent graduates cannot have just started a new job.

This is according to the USDA people in Wray, Colorado. Hopefully this helps someone. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

Re: USDA Direct loan rejection: Clarifying some inaccurate info posted here

We were going to do direct in Ohio (but made 800 too much) and I am a new grad. I provided transcript, degree, was out of probation and would have had no issue meeting income guideline.

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 2 of 5
ReBuild-OH17
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have just been rejected for a USDA direct loan. Shanethemortgageman is a very helpful poster, however he is incorrect (or perhaps policy has recently changed?) about two things per this loan:

1)  the non-occupant co-borrower cannot make all the income. This is explicitely the reason I was rejected.

2)  The two year income history is non-waivable. IE, recent graduates cannot have just started a new job.

This is according to the USDA people in Wray, Colorado. Hopefully this helps someone. 

Did you try another lender? Maybe this is that particular lenders guidelines. Just my 2 cents...

Message 3 of 5
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

USDA Direct is the Lender.......

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

interesting. I'll put it out there that I didn't have a great experience with this office, so that could be a factor. It took over a month for them to evaluate a prequalification worksheet. They initially rejected me for incorrect reasons. I had to explain to them their own policy regarding non-occupant co-borrower via info I had read online.  They acknowledged the error and said they would re-evaluate and get back to me.

Fast-forward ANOTHER full two weeks later I received a call back stating that I had been rejected because I needed to earn some of the money used to qualify. 

After I was rejected,, I asked if being a recent graduate would allow me to bypass (or at least excuse) the 2 year income requirement. She said no, however she had proven previously that she didn't exactly know what she was talking about.

I have also spoken to- but not formally applied at- a USDA office in another state. That office, again only over the phone, stated that recent graduates are cut some slack regarding income history/employment history.

So, to clarify, I was formally rejected for a lack of income sans non-occupant co-borrower. No other reason.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.