Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA and Home Repairs

tag
notmyj
Regular Contributor

USDA and Home Repairs

Well, just like most everyone here, I came to this site a year or so ago, with the intent of cleaning up my credit. I think it has worked enough to get me pre approved for a mortgage. I have been looking at houses near me on my own, as I didnt yet have a pre approval letter, and most agents wont spend time with you unless you have one. I didn't try to get approved yet either as I just payed everything off and I am waiting for my reports to settle down and report the 0 balalnces. Well, yesterday I found an REO split level 3 bed 2 bath at the end of a dead end street. Walked the property, talked to the neighbors for an hour and got the background on the house. In "normal" condition it would sell for $150k. It is listed at 71k. The bank cleaned it and as such it needs all carpeting, some dry wall needs replaced  new gutters, and a good cleaning. It suspected that the plumbing and other major systems are in good shape, but this willbe checked during inspection.

Does a USDA garanteed mortgage allow for funds to be used for carpet, repairs etc? I saw it will fund upto 102.5% of apprasied value, is the apprased value the vale of the house as it is or as it would be after repairs? One LO I talked to last night said he should be able to get me pre approved and said he needed to talk to under writing to be sure, as I had to explain a few things, like an old state tax lein that has been payed in full but not yet reporting as such. I also put in an app with a couple different mortgage brokers from different companies. Was this a good idea as far as trying to find a lender who will be able to fund me? I hoping to get an offer in on the house in a few days...

BK7 Filed 6/4/18
341 7/13/18
SCORES
7/19/18 Pre Discharge TU 8 572 EX 8 566
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
lmgood

Re: USDA and Home Repairs

I think that's pretty much the same thing as the FHA 203K loan - and it's 102% of the after repairs appraised value.  And yes, you can use it for carpeting, painting, even a deck.  There is a list on the website of things they prohibit you using the extra monies for, like luxury items (appliances), swimming pools, etc.  Your best thing is to make sure you get a lender that has experience with that type of loan, it makes the process go much more smoothly.  Best of luck.

Message 2 of 5
notmyj
Regular Contributor

Does anyone know of any lenders who do this with these loans? A broker I was talking to said that while it is possible, most banks wont do it.

BK7 Filed 6/4/18
341 7/13/18
SCORES
7/19/18 Pre Discharge TU 8 572 EX 8 566
Message 3 of 5
lmgood

I used PrimeLending - my loan officer actually specializes in just doing 203k loans.  and in talking to my contractor, Wells Fargo is also a big player in 203ks.  I found my loan officer by googling 203k mortgage lenders and my city.

best of luck. 

Message 4 of 5
Scope27
Regular Contributor

On the USDA RD official website it has a list of approved lenders. Here's the weblink for it...http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rhs/sfh/GSFH_Information/individuals.htm#Agency_Approved_Lenders

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.