cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA appraisal what did they flag?

tag
Irish_ky1986

USDA appraisal what did they flag?

The home we are trying to purchase is old, I'm sure there will be things that need fixed to pass but just looking to see what kinds of things others have experienced with usda appraisals?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: USDA appraisal what did they flag?

When getting a USDA mortgage the property you are buying must meet HUD minimum property requirements of being safe, sound and secure.  HUD hasn't published an easy to follow list, but a HUD approved appraiser in Sacramento put together a list of what he looks for at FHA Appraisal Requirements (.pdf) which are:

• Utilities should be turned on so the appraiser can test systems and appliances.
  • Appliances must function properly.
  • There should be proper drainage around the perimeter of the house.
  • The heating unit must be in working order (and AC if applicable).
  • Water pressure must be adequate for the house. Appraisers flush toilets, turn on all faucets and ensure that both hot and cold water are working.
  • The water heater must be in working order and strapped according to local code.
  • Attics and crawlspaces are to be viewed at minimum from the shoulder up by the appraiser. When viewing the attic, appraisers make sure there are vents, no damage, no exposed or frayed wires, and that sunlight is not beaming through. When inspecting the crawl space, appraisers make sure there are no signs of standing water or any other foundation support issues. Excessive debris in the attic or crawl space should be removed.
  • Paint must not be chipping, peeling, or flaking on homes built before 1978 because of the danger of lead-based paint (lead was used in paint prior to 1978). However, there must be no defective paint or bare wood for properties built after 1978 because defective paint impacts the economic longevity of the property. Defective paint should be scraped and repainted (with no wood chips on the soil).
  • Electrical outlets must work (outlets should have a cover plate also).
  • Toilets must flush and be mounted.
  • Any active termite infestation needs to be cured.
  • Minor cosmetic issues such as stained carpet or a need for interior paint are okay. The house does not have to be perfect, but if there are issues that impact health and safety or the longterm economic viability of the property, then those issues must be cured.
  • Windows must open and close and they cannot be broken. Minor cracks can be okay so long as there is not an issue with safety, soundness and security.
  • No dangling wires from missing fixtures or anywhere else.
  • FHA doesn't require air conditioning, but if present the system should work as intended.
  • Smoke detectors & carbon monoxide detectors are required insofar as required by local code
  • The firewall from the garage to the house should be intact. Missing sheetrock, a pet door installed in the door, a lack of self-closing hinges, or a hollow door could pose a safety issue.
  • A roof should not be leaking and needs to have at least two years of economic life left.
  • A house will be rejected if the site is subject to hazards, environmental contaminants, noxious odors, or excessive noises to the point of endangering the physical improvements or affecting the livability of the property (this isn’t an issue for the vast majority of properties).
  • A trip hazard is a subjective call to make by the appraiser and not necessarily an automatic repair, but if there is a legitimate safety issue it should be called out by the appraiser.
  • There are things any appraiser will call out in an FHA appraisal, but there are times when appraisers have to consider how the spirit of FHA might apply in a situation. FHA is black and white on many issues, but other times appraisers simply need to use good judgment.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
IamWesty12
Frequent Contributor

Re: USDA appraisal what did they flag?

@Irish_ky1986 wrote:

The home we are trying to purchase is old, I'm sure there will be things that need fixed to pass but just looking to see what kinds of things others have experienced with usda appraisals?

@Irish_ky1986 best wishes for your process.  Hopefully your appraisal goes well with your home of choice.  In my case I am just past the appraisal portion of my 502 direct loan that went off w/o a hitch.  The appraisal was done 12/20/22 and my local USDA office told us it could take upwards of 3 weeks or so to receive the official appraisal report back.  Luckily for me that timeline was not accurate as they received the completed report 12/27/22!  I then got an email from the office telling me next steps were choosing a closing agent/office and getting a home insurance binder started.  From what I can tell, my local USDA office has been ahead of the timeline on all things so far.  All of this is new to me w/ USDA RD 502 Direct loan as well as being a first time home buyer so I understand your question on  the process.  All of it is out of this world confusing and hard to grasp.  It is good that you are asking questions.  There isn't much information on USDA loans in general.  I mean, there is, but not like other programs.  Keep us posted!  Best wishes.

Starting Score: 461
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 775

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.