Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA direct questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USDA direct questions

We just sent in our application to USDA for a rural development loan in Oklahoma, and I'm nervous and full of questions! #1- is it true that they take 30 days to approve or deny your application? And #2- how strict are they about the home condition? I'm looking at houses and I've found some I really like, but they definitely need things like new flooring, some cabinet repairs... how does that work? I have some savings for repairs, and I'm not wanting to go full on Fixer Upper. Anyone have experience with this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USDA direct questions

https://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-services/single-family-housing-direct-home-loans/ok

A great place to start and if you want you can read through the direct loan lender handbook so you will know exactly what to expect.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the link, Firemediii! I downloaded it, and I'm slogging through. If anyone has experience with this I'd love to hear about it!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm currently going through the USDA Direct process in Illinois. It takes longer than 30 days, at least in my area. We submitted our application and documentation the beginning of February. They pulled our credit reports on February 7th. We just had our initial interview on March 15th. At this point, we have not been given a definitive yes or no. The USDA rep provided us with a list of home inspectors and a list of homeowner classes to choose from, in addition to several more forms to be completed.

As far as condition of the house, the rep told us that if we know something needs to be repaired, they can bundle the cost of that into the loan, and they will indicate it on the home inspection paperwork. In my case, the house needs a new furnace, and they're fine with that. He did tell me that many homeowners ask for funds for a new roof. I hope this helps.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, lynji! I just saw a hit on my husband's credit report last night, so I guess we'll see how things go from here! 😬 It's nerve wrecking to not know. I feel like I need to be prepared and have a house picked out, but I don't want to get attached when I don't know what's going to happen next!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi any updates? I've been trying to get somewhat of an understanding of this whole process. I submitted my application in the begining of April.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates? Length of time depends on circumstances (my worker told me that those who are in more need go first for funds). I am in WA I applied10/2016, letter of cert 11/2017 offer 12/2017 expected to close on the land 4/30 ( I guess appraisal can take 30-60 days) and our mobile home is expected to be ready 7/2018......almost 2 years later. I am SO thankful though.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.