cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA rejected my application because my immigration status does not show on their SAVE system

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USDA rejected my application because my immigration status does not show on their SAVE system

Hi All,

This is my first time posting on this forums, I hope you can give me some advice on what to do with my USDA loan application.  Let me give you some background info. on what my wife and I are trying to buy.  

We have been renters since Augut of 1999, and this will be our first time buying a new construction build from a local builder here in Orlando Florida.  I was researching USDA guaranteed loans, that they can provide 100% financing as long as the area we are building on satisfies their eligibility requirements.  We found a place at Clermont florida, and was able to get conditional approval for a USDA loan.  The builder estimated that our closing date will be for March 15, 2013.  Originally it was March 26. 2013. 

I applied for a USDA loan and was approved.  I already went to underwriting and was given a conditional approval.  All that is left now is to submit the application to the USDA. 

On Jan. 25 2013, my application was sent to the USDA.  Few weeks after, on February 21, my loan processor got a mail from USDA rejecting my application stating that my Permanent residency card is not verifiable on their "Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements" (SAVE) program.  The denial letter was dated Feb. 12.

I was shocked by this, and checked my documentation.  All of which are legitimate.   One thing I noticed though is my Soial Security card still has restriction clause on it stating "Valid only for work with INS authorization".  My mortgage processor told me that my SSN might be the cause of rejection.  What do you guys think?

See, I got my Green Card years after I got my SSN, which was almost nine years ago.  I guess my mistake was not updating my SSN after I got my green card.

The day after, I went to the immigration office and talked to an officer.  I had him verify my card.  There were no problems with it.  I asked the officer if he can check the SAVE program, and see why it was not showing.  He said, they do not use the SAVE program.  There is nothing else he can do.

So I went to the SSA office after that and applied for a new card, removing the restriction.  It looks like the SSA is also using the SAVE program as my Green card is not verifiable on their system as well.  Now they need to verify my documents first before they issue me a card.  It may take 40 days to do that.  This is increasingly frustrating.

I feel I am going to run out of time and lose my USDA application.

Another option to fix this problem is to mail the Freedom of information Act (FOIA) an amendment request (which I did) to have USCIS National Records Center to update my file and have it show onto the SAVE program.  I am not sure how long that would take.  I even went to the USCIS website, and was able to verify my Green Card number as a legit number.  I was abe to do that under Case status, and inputted my Receipt number, (Which is also the Green card number) and was able to get results stating that my Permanent resident status was approved August of 2004 (Almost 9 years ago). 

My mortgage processor forwarded this information to the USDA, and we are still waiting for a reply.  I hope the USDA considers this new information as another method to verif my status.

My LO said, worse case scenario, we can switch the loan to FHA and go from there.  He said the FHA does not use the SAVE system as USDA.  Not sure if that were true.  I would like to avoid going to FHA as their MIP is considerably higher than USDA.  But if I have no other choice, that will have to do I suppose.

Either way, I know we can close the loan and obtain the new construction house.  I just would like to prefer using USDA as my loan, so my wife and I have some spending money to use for upgrades later on.

What do you guys think I should do regarding my USDA loan.  Since the closing is on March 15, I am running out of time.  My LO said they need atleast 10 business days to switch to FHA.  Which makes my USDA response waiting time deadline to March 12  if I had to move the closing date back to March 26. (Original estimated closing date)

Thanks for reading my wall of text.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: USDA rejected my application because my immigration status does not show on their SAVE system

never ran across this problem.

i know if we have a problem with CAIVRS that the client can call them to work out the problem.

maybe you can do this with save?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USDA rejected my application because my immigration status does not show on their SAVE system

I wish I can do that, but there's no direct number for SAVE.  All I got is the USCIS infopass appointment and FOIA amendment mail option.

Message 3 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish I can do that, but there's no direct number for SAVE.  All I got is the USCIS infopass appointment and FOIA amendment mail option.

just throwing things out there.... keep digging and stay vigilant

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.  Man Happy

*Cross fingers*, here's to hoping I hear from the SSA soon regarding my card status update.  Hopefully USDA can process my loan right away, when they see my documents on SAVE.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As of 25 mins ago, I got a call from our Mortgage processor, and she gave me the good news that USDA approved our loan and released a commitment letter.  She said the alternate method I pointed out to them was accepted.  It's the one where you can check your green card number under the case status box on USCIS.gov.

My wife and I are so happy, you have no idea!!!  Now we can sleep again!  I'm just happy we do not need to wait for my SSN to get updated.  It looks like we are good to go for the closing on the 15th!!!

Message 6 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Excellent news. Congrats!!!!
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.