cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unjust bill, pay it or risk it before mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unjust bill, pay it or risk it before mortgage?

Hey guys,

A month ago I rented a car from Thrifty, the a$$hole charged me $75 for cleaning surcharge.  Since the charge was paid through my credit card awards, they haven't been able to bill me for it.  Earlier today I received an email saying they will send me to collection unless I pay this unjust bill.  I have notified them multiple times to call me back.  Yet they refuse to and none of their customer service department is willing to talk to me about this bill.  Now since my mortgage isn't schedule to close until month end, should I risk them sending me to collection or just pay this $75 and let them blackmail me?  I guess I could also pay through credit card and dispute it, but I I am still really pissed off at the way I am being treated.  What do you guys think, take a chance or don't risk it?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unjust bill, pay it or risk it before mortgage?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

A month ago I rented a car from Thrifty, the a$$hole charged me $75 for cleaning surcharge.  Since the charge was paid through my credit card awards, they haven't been able to bill me for it.  Earlier today I received an email saying they will send me to collection unless I pay this unjust bill.  I have notified them multiple times to call me back.  Yet they refuse to and none of their customer service department is willing to talk to me about this bill.  Now since my mortgage isn't schedule to close until month end, should I risk them sending me to collection or just pay this $75 and let them blackmail me?  I guess I could also pay through credit card and dispute it, but I I am still really pissed off at the way I am being treated.  What do you guys think, take a chance or don't risk it?

@Anonymous,

You are pissed but it is better to just move on from it.  Note to yourself: Never ever do business with them as long as you live.  That being said, just pay it to save yourself the headache since you want a mortgage.

Message 2 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

This is just my view but a mortgage is worth way way more to me than any $75 charge.

I agree it's lame and if it were me and if I had nothing else credit wise to worry about, charge up that hill; however, with a mortgage in the balance though, if a new collection pops up, we're talking possibly derailing the entire thing.  I'd just pay it and walk away, but I know I waste far more than $75 in any given month let alone looked at over the course of a typical 30 year mortgage.

        
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

This is just my view but a mortgage is worth way way more to me than any $75 charge.

I agree it's lame and if it were me and if I had nothing else credit wise to worry about, charge up that hill; however, with a mortgage in the balance though, if a new collection pops up, we're talking possibly derailing the entire thing.  I'd just pay it and walk away, but I know I waste far more than $75 in any given month let alone looked at over the course of a typical 30 year mortgage.

Mortgage is way more important, so you should definitely pay it. I would pay it through the same credit card that you used for the rental, then contest after your mortgage closes. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay it, and file it under lessons learned.  Sometimes ya gotta do things for the greater good.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh this sucks. $75 surcharge on a $21 rental and to get blackmailed by these people, it just pisses me off.  I guess I will pay it with my credit card.  As soon as I close on my house, i will file a dispute with the credit card.  My $95 membership fee better do something for me

Enterprise screwed me over a few years back too.  When my car was damaged by a shipping company, they got me a rental car while my car was in the shop.  When they thought they didn't get paid by the shipper, they just charged my card to balance their books.  At the end, it turns out they had mis-applied the payment by the shipper.  They had to reverse the charge to me at the end.  Of course no apology, phone calls or anything like that.  

Message 6 of 12
mo6579
Contributor

I say pay it. Never give them your business again (like my relationship with enterprise and enterprise commercial). If you are feeling exceptionally spiteful, send off a message to their twitter and facebook accounts with every one of your friends tagged. Also, email corporate. It might get you the refund and state of closure you are looking for. Also, maybe you'll get lucky and close soon enough to contest the charge. But for now at least, don't let them soil a multi-thousand dollar deal with their nonsense - pay it and worry about recouping later..

Current Fico08 TU:654 EX:641 EQ:650 (01/31/2015)
Current Fico04 TU:??? EX:695 EQ:675 (01/31/2015)
03/2013 - TU:567 EX:490 EQ:540
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is impossible to hold the moral high ground while they can accuse you of being a dead beat, unfair as that is. Pay it.

THEN dispute it and demand a refund. File a complaint with the BBB. Call the corporate HQ and complain about the local outfit. Having paid your bill in full you will be in a stronger position and at some point there's a chance that they'll give you some sort of credit or free rental or something in order to satisfy you.

Always better to pay these things THEN go for the jugular. It's $75, you can afford to be out the money. Can they afford the BBB complaint? Can the local employee afford to have corporate HQ looking into why he is ruining the brand name?

Message 8 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

it likely wont be a problem even if it does show up on a final credit pull.

regardless.... it is a no brainer.  $75?  just pay them.

actually.... send then $5 per week.

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 12
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

actually.... send then $5 per week.

I like this one!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.