Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using home equity as down payment for another mortgage

tag
wackajala
Established Member

Using home equity as down payment for another mortgage

Hi all. As the title suggests, is it possible to use the home equity in one property as the down payment in a mortgage for a second property?

I'm wondering specifically if issuing banks have some mechanism for this or if I would in effect be getting a second loan on the equity of the house and then giving that money to the issuing bank for the second mortgage down payment.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Meach7
New Contributor

Re: Using home equity as down payment for another mortgage

As far as I know you can use a cash out refinance for funds for a down payment on another property, but not any type of loan product. 

Message 2 of 7
MortgageMama
Regular Contributor

We need a little more information, please. Let's say Property #1 is your current residence and Property #2 is your next purchase...

Do you intend to occupy #2 as your primary residence?

What do you intend to do with #1? Sell it or keep it as a rental/investment property?

And yes, what is called a Bridge Loan is available (although not by many lenders). It's designed to help you purchase a new property by tapping into the equity on your current home in order to buy #2. There are limits to how much equity you can pull out of#1 in terms of a percentage of the value (LTV). Bridge Loans are generally short term loan and you would still need to qualify for the entirety of all the mortgages for #1 and #2.

If you do intend to sell #1, I realize it's a challenge to coordinate a sale and a buy, but it's quite possible to work out a closing on #1 and #2 same day. 

The Federal Savings Bank / Member FDIC / Equal Housing Lender / Lending in all 50 States / 25 Years in the Mortgage Industry
Message 3 of 7
wackajala
Established Member

Thank you for the responses I appreciate it.

the intent would be to live in #2 and turn #1 into a rental. I don't want to lose #1 due to the favorable rate when we bought it a couple years back.

I will take a look into the bridge loan that you mentioned here.

Message 4 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Keep in mind most bridge loans are 1st mortgages only, meaning you'd have to pay off your existing mortgage on property #1 with the higher rate bridge loan.  There are 2nd mortgage bridge loans but aren't as common.  Most bridge loans require a significant amount (%) of equity in the 20-30% range after funding.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

I read in your other post that you have a significant amount of equity in this property, which may allow you to be in a position to qualify for a traditional 2nd mortgage or HELOC on an investment property rather than having to obtain a bridge loan.  Those will be much easier to qualify for and you could retain your existing 1st mortgage terms.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 7
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

I read in your other post that you have a significant amount of equity in this property, which may allow you to be in a position to qualify for a traditional 2nd mortgage or HELOC on an investment property rather than having to obtain a bridge loan.  Those will be much easier to qualify for and you could retain your existing 1st mortgage terms.

And you can use this line of credit for down payment/costs of the new purchase, so much easier than a bridge loan.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.