cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using part of my retirement as down payment?

tag
brookesmommy2006

Using part of my retirement as down payment?

Hi all, I am currently saving up to buy a house hopefully in June or July of this year. I'm really new to the whole process and dont know what I am doing. I'll have $4000 cash of my own. I was going to take $2000 from my retirement savings to put toward downpayment. (Looking to purchase a home $120000-$150000). Can I do this and be pre-qualified without actually having all the money in my account? The group that holds my retirement states that I have to have a contract before they will release the funds, but Im not sure I can negotiate anything without the funds? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Using part of my retirement as down payment?

Yes, it's fine to use funds from your retirement account for the down payment and/or closing costs.  If you don't have the funds transferred yet, then during the pre-approval process you can tell your loan officer that is what your plan will be and then you will be pre-approved based on the funds eventually being transferred.  You will eventually be asked for the paper trail of the funds going from your retirement account into your bank account, a copy of the check before you deposit it + a copy of the bank statement after you deposit it + a copy of the retirement account statemeng showing the funds have been taken out usually is what the underwriter is looking for.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.