Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilities setup prior to closing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilities setup prior to closing?

Are you required to setup utilities prior to closing? My closing is 26th... but wont move in until 1st week of june.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilities setup prior to closing?

Utilities usually request 48-72 hours to turn on, also you will pay reconnect fees if the service is "reconnected" vs transferred from the previous owner. Call your utility company and they can tell you the difference. We opted to have both old service and new service overlap as we wanted lights and whatnot available as we worked on moving into the new home. We did take our time though.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was given a notice that within 48 hours from closing the utilities had to be switched out of the builders name.  If they weren't the utility would be turned off.  I set mine up as soon as I knew my closing date.

If you arent going to be in the home for a week, then have them scheduled to be turned on on that date.  Or have it done ahead of time.  I had no lead time requirements from my utilities but I didnt call at the last minute either.

Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Whether it is a resale or new construction, the buyer is obligated to put the utilities on in their name effective the closing date.

With a resale - the transfer is easy and quick IME.

With new construction, the utility authorities may need a couple of days notice.

Here, in S FL, the utility companies (water co usually) want to see a copy of the deed signed by the seller (doesn't have to show its recorded yet) and the ALTA statement to transfer the water into the buyers name so that is the first thing done after closing.  The electric co is easy - can do it online or by phone in minutes even at the closing table. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Whether it is a resale or new construction, the buyer is obligated to put the utilities on in their name effective the closing date.

With new construction, the utility authorities may need a couple of days notice.

Here, in S FL, the utility companies (water co usually) want to see a copy of the deed signed by the seller (doesn't have to show its recorded yet) and the ALTA statement to transfer the water into the buyers name so that is the first thing done after closing.  The electric co is easy - can do it online or by phone in minutes even at the closing table. 

Yes the water company wanted to see the top part of the closing disclosure (which shows the closing date etc).  I Sharpied out any information as to cost of home and loan which they didnt need to see.  I used the copy I received the 3 days prior to closing and that sufficed.

Message 5 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Yes the water company wanted to see the top part of the closing disclosure (which shows the closing date etc).  I Sharpied out any information as to cost of home and loan which they didnt need to see. I used the copy I received the 3 days prior to closing and that sufficed.

Here they want to see the signed ALTA. Naturally there is no signed ALTA until after closing.  I'm sure it varies by region. For some reason the water utilites here are behind the times by decades!   I say that because they also want the buyer to bring the signed ALTA in person along with their ID to the water utility so they can change the name. It is still that way to this very day.

Message 6 of 7
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I bought my house last year. I had 48 hours to switch the utilities over to the new house. I just called the utility companies and gave them the address date of new service and they did the rest. I did not have to provide any paper work. I am on the gulf coast of Florida near Tampa. I closed on my house at the end of June but did not move in until middle of July. The utility company let me have them both on at the same time knowing that the old house would be shut off a week after I moved out of the old house. I needed time to clean it up and do the minor repairs after I moved out.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.