Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan- Spouse with bad credit

tag
notyou
Valued Member

VA Loan- Spouse with bad credit

My credit is perfect. No collections, no late payments, and by the time we apply for a VA loan will have ZERO Credit card debt. Only car loans. One will be 1 year and the other will be 3 years old. My wife's credit is terrible! She is at the point that everything is out of stats and any activity on the accounts will only bring them back into stats. Next year, when I'd like to apply they will all have about a year maybe two before they fall off her credit.

I know we can't get a loan with her credit the way it is correct? (score is like 500!) So, that leaves us where? If I add her to my accounts now, let her get a history of a year on them, will that bring up her score? If it will bring up her score, will those negatives (accounts in collections) have an impact on a loan approval?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jinca
Established Member

Re: VA Loan- Spouse with bad credit

I live in a community property state. I bought our house sole and seperate. My wife's credit was pulled, and her student loans were counted toward my DTI. The LO said her scores didn't matter, they just wanted to check for community debt. In our case it was stupid to leave her off, I thought we were making it easier, in reality it caused more complications. But, as far as your question goes her score was never taken into account. 

Message 2 of 5
notyou
Valued Member

Hmmm...

I am not in a community property state, and we have NO joint accounts.

Message 3 of 5
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

Maybe they can put the property in your name, using only your income

Message 4 of 5
notyou
Valued Member

We need both incomes to qualify for what we really want....

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.