Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan, but not getting my hopes up.

tag
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

VA Loan, but not getting my hopes up.

We are 4 - 14 months outside of buying a home. I honestly figured that we wouldn't be able to do anything for a full year (gives me time to work on my boyfriend's credit, raise my score, save a DP) and I'm OK if that is the case. However, I am a Veteran's widow and wasn't even really sure if I qualified for a VA loan. My LO says widow's qualify, so I am starting the process to be pre-qualified. I've heard this may mean $0 down. 

Just thought I'd share the mind-blowing event today. This is the first time I've even given my information to a company in regards to home ownership. I guess I might be in shock and a little terrified.

I don't want to rush into anything, but if it is possible, I would love to move into our new home in 2020. I have been told I have options that could get me into a home quickly. Thoughts?

Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

Re: VA Loan, but not getting my hopes up.

As a surviving spouse, you could be eligible for VA benefits i.e. DIC (Dependents Indemnity Compensation Benefits) or a COE (Certificate of Eligibility).  In this case to obtain a COE, the Veteran would need to have at least 1 of the following:

• Is MIA
  • Is a POW
  • Died while in service or from a service-connected disability and you didn't remarry before you were 57 years old.
  • Had been totally disabled and then died, but their disability may not have been the cause of death (in certain situations).

Please make sure you work with an experienced LO who knows VA, as there are some tricky caveats to your eligibility, especially wanting to buy a home with a non Veteran or Active Duty Service Member.

Best wishes to you!

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.