cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan question. Can extra money be taken out for landscaping?

tag
hankejp
New Contributor

VA Loan question. Can extra money be taken out for landscaping?

Hoping someone who knows the VA Loan process can answer this question for me.  We are startign to look at homes.  We like the newly constructed home, but the landcaping isn't done at all and needs a total makeover.  My question is, can I ask for more money on the VA Loan than I'd be putting toward the purchase of the home to make improvements on the landscaping. 

I had thought I had read that you can take out more money for improvements, but can't find anything on this.  What I would ultimately like to do is to offer the seller, $20k less the selling price and use that $20k for landscaping.

Thanks for any info you might have.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VA Loan question. Can extra money be taken out for landscaping?

We just closed on a VA Home Loan on June 14th (last Thursday)

There are a few things in the VA Home Loan that are sticky... I seen on one of the VA forms that you can add $6000 onto your loan for environmental improvements.. However, I do not think that landscaping is considered environmental improvements..

My best advice to you would be: when you make the offer on the house include $XXX amount for landscaping in the offer.. However, if it is in the offer it will have to be done before you close..

Also, another thing that "caught us by surprise" was: as a VA requirement, you can not change the purchase amount on the home after the appraisal is done..

Example: The asking price for our home was 139,000.. When we made the offer we said we would pay 147,000 but the sellers had to install central air and install all new stainless steel appliances and pay $3000 of closing cost... so they sellers countered with: selling price of: 149,000 and anything over $7,000 of central air would be paid by buyers.. We agreed to this.. the bank ordered the appraisal and ordered work on central air to be done. The appraisal came back as $155,000. Once  materials were delivered and central air was installed it ended up costing 8,000 (and we wanted to take early possession) so we all filled out the adenment to increase the selling price of the home to 150,000... Well, 3 days before we closed the bank called and said it is a VA Clause that you can not change the selling price of the home after the appraisal is done.. So the sellers ended up having to take the 149,000 for the home

Message 2 of 7
hankejp
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply Watching.  Could you private message me what VA forums you went on?  I'd like to check them out, but am having problems find them.

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
cybarra2003
Valued Member

I'm set to close on a VA home loan new construction as well, and we simply asked the builder to throw in rear landscaping and they did. Have you asked the housing rep? Sometimes that all you have to do is ask and they may be able to do it. And the worse they can say is no!

EX: 651 - Lender Pull (04/30/12) EX: 678 (credit app 7/12)
EQ: 625 - Lender Pull (04/30/12) EQ: 639 (myFico) (7/12)
TU(04): 631 - Lender Pull (04/30/12) TU: 663 (myfico) (7/12)
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our home was not New Construction..

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just sent you the link... It was for sure a life saver for me!

Good Luck on your new home Smiley Happy I hope you both are as happy and excited as I am when it's all done

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to bring up an old thread....but could you send me that link too???

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.