Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA Loan

Do all VA loans have Mortgage Insurance? Since we are not putting 20 percent down, we are required to have this, correct? Am I wrong or do we know of any Mortgage companies who do not require that type of insurance? Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: VA Loan

Hi there

VA loans do not require mortgage insurance. It does have a VA funding fee, however. This is a one-time fee applied to evey VA purchase and refinance loan to help keep the program running for future generations. The funding fee is typically 2.30 percent of the loan amount and can be paid upfront or rolled into the loan amount, making the VA loan a true $0-down option.

Detailed info can be found at https://www.veteransunited.com/valoans/a-closer-look-at-a-key-va-loan-benefit-avoiding-pmi/

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 10
jhb
New Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

Hi there

VA loans do not require mortgage insurance. It does have a VA funding fee, however. This is a one-time fee applied to evey VA purchase and refinance loan to help keep the program running for future generations. The funding fee is typically 2.30 percent of the loan amount and can be paid upfront or rolled into the loan amount, making the VA loan a true $0-down option.

Detailed info can be found at https://www.veteransunited.com/valoans/a-closer-look-at-a-key-va-loan-benefit-avoiding-pmi/

GL2U

As a veteran with a VA disability rating, I just wanted add more about the VA funding fee for the original poster. If a veteran receives compensation for a service connected rated disability, the veteran does not have to pay a funding fee.

Message 3 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@jhb wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

Hi there

GL2U

As a veteran with a VA disability rating, I just wanted add more about the VA funding fee for the original poster. If a veteran receives compensation for a service connected rated disability, the veteran does not have to pay a funding fee.

Thanks jhb for this added benefit. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 10
hsfun2019
Regular Contributor

Sorry to restart this but I saw something in here about a disability removing the VA Funding.   So if my spouse has a 10% disability and receives a small VA check each month that elimintates the VA Funding Fee?

Message 5 of 10
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@hsfun2019 wrote:

Sorry to restart this but I saw something in here about a disability removing the VA Funding.   So if my spouse has a 10% disability and receives a small VA check each month that elimintates the VA Funding Fee?

that is correct.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 10
hsfun2019
Regular Contributor

@VALoanMaster  THank you!  Maybe you can answer this then...

Co-worker said they applied for a loan a their parent who is a qualified vet and received a VA loan.  is that true?  As long as 1 person is eligible for a VA loan they can qualify no matter the relation?  

Message 7 of 10
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@hsfun2019 wrote:

@VALoanMaster  THank you!  Maybe you can answer this then...

Co-worker said they applied for a loan a their parent who is a qualified vet and received a VA loan.  is that true?  As long as 1 person is eligible for a VA loan they can qualify no matter the relation?  

Yes and no.

VA does not allow non-occupying co-borrowers so they would have had to live in the house together.

VA does allow a Veteran and non-Veteran to be on a VA loan together but the non-Veteran has to put money down. 

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 8 of 10
hsfun2019
Regular Contributor

That makes a lot more sense.   I think the parent lives with them.   THank you!

Message 9 of 10
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

Just to clarify, a Veteran with a 10% disability rating will have the VA Funding Fee waived. The VA is an awesome loan programs with many unique characteristics. 

Thank you to all of my fellow Veterans for your service to this country.

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.