Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA loan with NFCU

tag
kjm79
Valued Contributor

VA loan with NFCU

I made a general inquiry call to NFCU today to find out what their current minimum guideline are for their VA loans.  My Dh and I are looking to start app'ing in about 6 months after we get our util down.  I was also wanting to wait to get DH's scores up a bit two to be in a more comfortable position. 

Tony, the kind NFCU rep, stated NFCU has NO minimum score requirements as long as you meet the VA's qualifactions.  *insert confused look here*.  I asked again, there is no score requirement to obtain a VA loan through NFCU?  He says no, that as long as there aren't any recent serious derogs and you met the rest of the VA's qualifications you are good to go given your DTI is good (needs to be 41% for NFCU) and you can afford the payments, fees, closing costs etc.  Does that sound right at all??  No min score at all for a VA loan?  Last time I looked at the VA qualifications, they didn't list a specific score needed, but referred to lenders specific requirements. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Re: VA loan with NFCU

The lowest score I have heard of needed to qualify for a VA is a 580...but USAA (and most lenders) require a minimum of 620.  When I was active, I was through Marine Fed, not Navy Fed so can't help you there.  But if a rep from the credit union gave you this information, I would guess it is accurate.  Also, with a va you cannot have anything negative within the last 12 months.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VA loan with NFCU

Funny thing....

NFCU wouldn't give me anything more than $204K, but USAA did approve me for a $350K loan which I closed in April.

And this VA loan was with a 700 credit score!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.