Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA loan

I have a score of 600, will someone in please give me the honest truth about what I need to get a VA loan. I heard so many different answers about want I need to get my VA loan and get it approved
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: VA loan

tryin2get700 wrote:
I have a score of 600, will someone in please give me the honest truth about what I need to get a VA loan. I heard so many different answers about want I need to get my VA loan and get it approved

Your question can't really be answered with just your credit score.  There's much more that goes into a mortgage loan approval - whether it be VA, FHA, or conventional - than the credit score.

Some of the factors will be your income as it relates to the cost of the home you wish to buy.  Job stability and consistency of earning history is considered along with this.  Any derogatory entries on your credit report, especially recent ones, are important as well.  Other debts, such as student loans, auto loans, and CC payments are also factored into the approval process.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So who can I talk to about being approved
Message 3 of 11
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

If you are willing to share some additional information here, then the members of the myFICO community can weigh in with some opinions about your approval chances and suggestions to improve your application package.  Otherwise, you could find a local loan officer with experience with VA loans and ask him/her about your chances.  Whichever you choose, you'd need to provide at least the information above in order for anyone to give you an informed opinion about whether you would qualify for a loan.

Message 4 of 11
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

I would start here: http://www.homeloans.va.gov/

Review that information, then, I would contact some banks and credit unions, ask if they participate in the VA Loan program and set up an appointment to discuss with them. As others have said, prepare for that meeting by gathering some of the following information:

1. Your best guess at current mid-score from a credit score perspective.

2. Pay stubs showing income.

3. All of your most recent credit card statements, car loan statements, student loan or other lines of credit (they will use this to look at your debt to income (DTI) ratio.

4. Write up explanations for any negatives you've had over the past several years on your credit report, including collections, charge-offs, late payments, etc. Once you get to the point of applying, you will need to provide this information for an underwriter anyway, so you might as well write it up now.

5. Information on how much you would have available for down payment and/or closing costs.

With that information, they should probably be able to start telling you if you're in the ballpark. In the meantime, do everything you can to try to get the score up. The easiest will be paying off (or paying down) any credit card balances you might have, especially if your utilization is hight on any of them. In addition, if you have late payments, try writing goodwill letters to the creditors to see if they would be willing to remove them.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any derogatory entries on your credit report, especially recent ones, are important as well.  Other debts, such as student loans, auto loans, and CC payments are also factored into the approval process.

All my Derogatory credit have been paid off are they are six or seven years old. I have one repossession that's two years old and made arrangements with the collection agency on a payment plan to have a letter for. My student loans I pay on time I have five credit cards, one of them have exceeded the 35% but Visa and MasterCard have been paid off and I have one more card is only used 10% that is with firestone  in my other store card has been paid off haven't had any late payments in over four years. been with my company for over 3 years.

What are my chances?

Message 6 of 11
gpeach
Regular Contributor

Scores depend on the lender. We went through a mortgage broker. Middle score had to be 620 for them. So before you apply make sure you know the minimum score. When lender pulled our scores they showed higher than fico scores I got here. So once you find someone who will work with 620 scores or below then apply. Based on what you wrote I think you have a good shot.
Message 7 of 11
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Most lenders need a 620. Some are 640.

Very few will do a loan under 620.... even if they do they will likely deny for the very reasons you are a 600 anyway.

Lots of factors in a home loan.... Not as score driven as in the past.

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My lender requires a 620 for VA. From speaking with my realtor, that seems to be the normal VA score required.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot, that's what I been told and I should be reaching that 620 within the month

So I should be OK

thanks again for all the response

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.