Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification of Rent

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verification of Rent

Do all loans ask for Verification of Rent? My landlord passed away, and I've always paid him through Venmo. 

Anyone have a lender that did not require this?

5 REPLIES 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Verification of Rent

Very few do, actually.  If your loan has to be manually underwritten then it'll be asked for.  Manual underwrites really only happen on VA, FHA & USDA loans these days.  The other type of loan that often asks for them is if you are financing a jumbo loan amount (over $510,400 for most of the U.S., higher in certain high cost markets).

To document Venmo payments to a landlord you should be getting emailed confirmations each time a payment is made, just collect the last 12 months of those email confirmations and along with a copy of the lease agreement (to confirm the amount you should be paying) then that should suffice.  

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know! I am leaning more toward a conventional loan to eliminate that MI after 20% is paid down. The concern I had was that is says, if required it cannot be shown any other way than through canceled checks. 

Message 3 of 6
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Canceled checks are ideal.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 4 of 6
sxa001
Valued Contributor

I didn't realize this was a thing, I pay my rent online so if a lender needed to see actual cancelled checks that wouldn't even be an option.  Hopefully won't actually be an issue, I mean I can show on my statement the property company that gets the money and they can see a copy of the lease and/or my actual statements each month from them showing the amount due.  

Good luck OP in getting things sorted, sorry to hear about the death of your landlord. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get your payment info from Venmo. No stress. I don't pay my rent by check either. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.