Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to buy home in 6 months

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want to buy home in 6 months

Looking to buy home in 6 months

Hi I am 27 years old married with 2 small kids. I am a Registered Nurse. My husband and I got married young and we didn’t know anything about credit. We messed up a lot in our younger years. Now we want to buy a home in the next 6 months. We want to buy the home in my name since I make a little more money and he’a self employed. We want opinions on what our best scenario could be. We want to buy a home in the Tampa Bay Area. I want to know tips and ideas you may have. Have any of you been added as a AU to boost mortgage scores? What should I pay off? Any Down payment assistance or second mortgages you guys know of that help with DPA? What can I do about my student loans to bring DTI down? Is there a way I can have the mortgage lender count less than 1%?

My income : 65,000

We have $19k saved

Beginning credit scores 2019

EQ 574 Trans 617 Ex 606

Current credit scores

EQ615 Trans 633 EX642

Beginning mortgage scores April 2020

EQ495 Trans493 EX531

Current mortgage scores

EQ533 Trans519 EX588

I had a couple of hiccups where the score would drop and come back up.

Trade lines:

• Credit one Limit 450 balance is 0
  • Capital one limit 300 balance is 0
  • Bank of America limit 800 balance is 175
  • Self secured balance limit 300 balance is 0
  • First Premier credit card limit 400 balance is 0
  • Credit strong installment loan :$15 monthly
  • Self lender installment loan: $25 monthly
  • Student loan balance is $55k (set to graduate in August)

Collections:

• Hunter Warfield opened in 2017: 6k
  • Medical collection: $1628
  • IC systems $73
  • IC systems: $774
  • Plaza services $2,600
  • Caine and Werner : $940
  • First credit services :$188

Charge offs

• Bridge crest September 2020 17k ( we are currently going back and forth with insurance and gap to pay off because the car was stolen
  • Regional acceptance: repossession  11k April 2017

Payment history is 97%

Age of credit history is 3 years 1 month with the oldest account being 8 years and youngest 6 months

3 REPLIES 3
mja1970
Valued Member

Re: Want to buy home in 6 months

Unfortunately, with those mortgage scores, you are going to have a VERY difficult time (likely impossible) qualifying for a mortgage within the next 6 months, even with money down.  Lenders are going to see those scores as very risky.  This is going to take some time.  My wife and I also had to clean up our credit before we could buy our first home 13 years ago, but we got it done.  It took us about a year and a half of very hard work, but we did it and were able to get our home.  Give yourself at least another year of working on your credit and continue paying your bills on time.  Definitely DO NOT miss any payments or be 30+ days late with anything because that can tank your scores in a heartbeat.  You really need to let your credit accounts age.  The lower the average age of your credit is, the lower your scores will be.  Basically, the longer you've had these accounts open and in good standing, the more it will help your scores because it will show that you have maintained these accounts in good standing for a longer period of time.   

If you have any collection accounts, you're going to need to start working on paying those off.  Make a list of all the collections you have and start with the ones you know you can afford to take care of first.  Then, contact the collectors and see if they will negotiate a smaller amount in exchange for deletion from your credit report.  An important tip:  When you contact these collectors, NEVER EVER admit that you own the debt.  Just say something like, "I just noticed this collection account on my credit report and I need it to be removed.  Can we negotiate a smaller amount in exchange for deletion?"  Remember, these collection agencies buy these debts for literally pennies on the dollar and they don't make money if they don't get paid, so be firm and NEVER pay the full collection amount.  If you have any older collections that are scheduled to fall off your report within a year or less, I wouldn't even bother with them.  Why spend money you don't have to?  Deal with the collections that still have a good bit of time before they expire and fall off your report (collections can stay on your credit report for up to 7 years). 

Keep your credit utilization very low (preferrably around 10% or less).  This is a big one, because credit utilization has a huge impact on your scores.  You don't want to max out your credit cards, making it look like you rely on your cards and use them all the time.  If you do use your credit cards, pay them off as quickly as possible (before the next billing cycle).  Lastly, don't go and apply for a ton of credit.  Keep those hard inquires off your reports, because too many of those can drop your score several points as well. 

This is definitely going to take some time and hard work, so try to be realistic about how long it will take to get your credit and finances in good enough shape to qualify for a mortgage loan.  There are so many factors that lenders look at when they are evaluating you for a mortgage.  Your credit score is just one of the many things they take into consideration.  They are going to look at your DTI (debt to income ratio - basically how much you make versus how much you owe), your income, any collection accounts, credit utilization, etc.  Just keep plugging away at it as much as you can and I'm sure you will start seeing positive results.    

PS:  Why do you only want to buy under your name?  Just because your husband makes less money and is self-employed doesn't mean that he can't go on the loan as well.  In fact, if you add him to the loan and count his income in addition to yours, that will give you a higher household income and you can potentially qualify for more money.   Self-employment still counts as long as he can prove his income and his credit is decent enough to go on the loan.

Message 2 of 4
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking to buy home in 6 months

Hi I am 27 years old married with 2 small kids. I am a Registered Nurse. My husband and I got married young and we didn’t know anything about credit. We messed up a lot in our younger years. Now we want to buy a home in the next 6 months. We want to buy the home in my name since I make a little more money and he’a self employed. We want opinions on what our best scenario could be. We want to buy a home in the Tampa Bay Area. I want to know tips and ideas you may have. Have any of you been added as a AU to boost mortgage scores? What should I pay off? Any Down payment assistance or second mortgages you guys know of that help with DPA? What can I do about my student loans to bring DTI down? Is there a way I can have the mortgage lender count less than 1%?

My income : 65,000

We have $19k saved

Beginning credit scores 2019

EQ 574 Trans 617 Ex 606

Current credit scores

EQ615 Trans 633 EX642

Beginning mortgage scores April 2020

EQ495 Trans493 EX531

Current mortgage scores

EQ533 Trans519 EX588

I had a couple of hiccups where the score would drop and come back up.

Trade lines:

• Credit one Limit 450 balance is 0
  • Capital one limit 300 balance is 0
  • Bank of America limit 800 balance is 175
  • Self secured balance limit 300 balance is 0
  • First Premier credit card limit 400 balance is 0
  • Credit strong installment loan :$15 monthly
  • Self lender installment loan: $25 monthly
  • Student loan balance is $55k (set to graduate in August)

Collections:

• Hunter Warfield opened in 2017: 6k
  • Medical collection: $1628
  • IC systems $73
  • IC systems: $774
  • Plaza services $2,600
  • Caine and Werner : $940
  • First credit services :$188

Charge offs

• Bridge crest September 2020 17k ( we are currently going back and forth with insurance and gap to pay off because the car was stolen
  • Regional acceptance: repossession  11k April 2017

Payment history is 97%

Age of credit history is 3 years 1 month with the oldest account being 8 years and youngest 6 months

Like the other poster stated, it's unlikely that anyone will approve you for a mortgage. Many lenders will want you to take care of those collections before giving you any money. Like the other poster stated, you should start working on those collections. Some of the money you have saved up could help with that. You are going to have to adjust your timeline. Six months is just not feasable.

Also, one of the charge offs is from about 9 months old. You definitely want to get that resolved.

Message 3 of 4
Michizane
Regular Contributor

As stated earlier, you will need to address all those collections and charge off's before considering an application. Hopefully the latest charge off can be resolved and removed from your credit, otherwise you might need to wait till post Sept 2022 before applying. Most lenders will not consider you if you have a late pattern within 2 years. Then you will need to address the rest of your collections and other charge off, and try to pay for delete on all the collections. After you have addressed all of them and practicing AZEO, don't open any new accounts within a year of applying (an area that reduced my score during application). 

If you are applying on your own and don't have a co-borrower with good credit, you will have a very tough time getting a loan with most if not all lenders. You will probably need to monitor your credit for atleast a year before going for an application (and check your mortgage scores in between). You will have a tough time applying on your own even if you wait a year after addressing all your debt (unless you somehow happen to get all your derogatories deleted via pay for deletes and goodwill adjustments), or unless you find a lender that specializes in bad credit. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.